You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-05 07:58:13

Gold_Fish

Networking problems

I have installed Funtoo on my Thinkpad T500 but I've been having some pretty big problems with connecting to the internet.  I'm using the 3.9.0 Vanilla kernel, and I believe I have compiled the correct drivers due to the fact that I can attempt to connect to wireless networks.  The necessary drivers should be the Intel Pro WIreless and Intel 82567LM Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

The primary problem is that I can see connections but it fails while authenticating or putting up the interface. Sometimes I am able to get a connection while it is in the process of authenticating but the connection will be cut when it fails.  Likewise sometimes I am able to get a working wired connection for a few minutes after startup/reboot.  What would be causing this problem?  Using Debian or Arch on the same laptop I have never had a problem with networking on my T500.

The second issue is that I am not seeing an kind of wicd or networkmanager applet in LXDE or XFCE (and I did install them).  On my other laptop wicd immediately appeared after emerging it (although this was with Gentoo) and I had no issues connecting to the same wired and wireless connections.  I am only able to use wicd-curses as an interface, and as stated before all connection attempts fail, despite double and triple checking the password.

Is there something that would cause connections to be dropped or randomly recognized for a short period of time?

EDIT:  I installed the preconfigured debian-sources kernel, and I am still having the same problems that I have with the 3.9.0 vanilla kernel.

All help is appreciated!

Last edited by Gold_Fish (2013-05-05 08:35:55)

#2 2013-05-07 14:31:11

404_Error
Core Team Member

Re: Networking problems

Do you have any log of your wireless activity? Either on the machine itself or on your wireless AP?

Many causes could be the origin, a kernel regression, a clunky firmware, some environmental factors but if the machine is at the same place and does not have any issues with another operationg system I would tend to eliminate that latter.

#3 2013-05-08 06:42:44

Gold_Fish

Sorry but what logs would be helpful and where would I find them?

#4 2013-05-10 02:13:34

Gold_Fish

Here is my wicd.log.

#5 2013-05-13 18:18:12

Gold_Fish

I've also noticed that the shutdown and restart options are greyed out in xfce and they simply don't appear in lxde, this happens even if I login as root.  Could it be that I don't have full permissions or that I have misconfigured something?  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the connections drops, as the connection keeps dropping and reconnecting regardless if it is wireless or wired.

EDIT: Well I managed to fix the greyed out shutdown and restart options, I didn't have policykit set up properly.  I'm still having the same connection drops though.

Last edited by Gold_Fish (2013-05-14 16:23:17)

Board footer