You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-24 01:43:57

Anakin Skywalker

geek-sources

Hello Funtoo Community,

i am new to Funtoo please forgive me if i make mistakes. ;-)

I have seen init_6's geek-sources and i think its quite interesting maybe a little to much patches.. but i like the idea.

-ck Con Kolivas' high performance patchset
-fedora Fedora patches
-mageia Mandriva/Mageia patches
-suse OpenSuSE patches

That being said, I have never patched my kernel and i would really like to know if it makes sense to merge all these patches.

- May the Force be with you -

#2 2013-03-24 10:40:42

init_6

Re: geek-sources

geek-sourtses is not just another sys-kernel/*. geek-sources is basic framework for operate many number of patches and to automate routine operations with them. more written on the wiki. For maintaining set of patches up to date there is  init_6/scripts/patch_maker.sh So anyone of you can update and maintain them up to date.

geek-sources uses its own eclass logical part - eclass/geek-sources.eclass + functional part - eclass/linux-geek.eclass

Here is an example of use the functional part sys-kernel/rh-sources-2.6.32

#3 2013-03-25 13:38:52

Anakin Skywalker

Thanks for the reply.

I would really like to have my own overlay/git for my own kernel.
Therefore i need to knwo, what the patch_maker.sh does and which enviroment it needs.

#4 2013-03-25 14:58:48

init_6

From init6/scripts/patch_maker.sh

Dependencies: portage, layman, init6 overlay, svn, git, lynx, wget, sed, awk, xz, dialog

$ ./patch_maker.sh 

Usage:
patch_maker.sh-0.5 kernel-version

$ patch_maker.sh 3.8.4

"All" in menu - creates all the patches for the kernel version 3.8.4 in folder <layman storage>/init6/sys-kernel/geek-sources/files-`date +"%Y%m%d"

At the first start patch_maker.sh creates a local copy of all used repositories in $DISTDIR/geek/<patch_name>. This takes the most time. All subsequent launches local repositories only updated.

If you have plans to add a patch that is not yet present in sys-kernel/geek-sources better сreate a new issue with description, http://url and svn/git/http source url or if you have found and/or fixed a bug make fork from my overlay and sand my "Pull Request" the same as described in Overlay:Flora

In fork you can change ebuild name and override kernel EXTRAVERSION from ebuild.

But even at this point in sys-kernel/geek-sources has all about what can only dream. And do not forget about user patches

User patches
And if all this is not enough sys-kernel/geek-sources support user patches from /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources

Board footer