You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-20 18:11:39

ivanvcouso

EFI, ZFS and Grub

Hello, I'm fighting against my laptop since 3-4 days ago and I'm unable to pass the grub loading screen, so I'm here for a bit of help smile
I had funtoo installed along with OSX, but wanted to change to a single funtoo encrypted ZFS install, so I formatted and followed some guides for ZFS, Luks, UEFI booting and such.

The laptop is a Macbook Pro 6.1, core i7, Intel + Nvidia dual GPU.
The partition scheme is the following:

/dev/sda1 -> EF00, vfat formated, used as /boot and EFI (got the same partition working before with a funtoo on ext4 and dualbooting OSX, forgot to backup the grub.cfg...)
/dev/sda2 -> ZFS pool on top of a LUKS.

The problem is that I'm currently unable to pass the grub loading screen, tried with lot of options. Some of them freeze grub, others show a blinking cursor, others a blank screen. None of them pass to the kernel loading.

I attach grub.cfg and kernel .config, in case you need them:

GRUB CONFIG: As you can see I've two entries for the same system, I tried A/B test with all the commands

set timeout=3

insmod part_gpt
  insmod fat
  set debug=video
  insmod efi_gop
  insmod font

set root=(hostdisk//dev/sda,gpt1)
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1A82-1745

if loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2; then
   set gfxpayload=keep
   set gfxmode=auto
   insmod gfxterm
   #insmod vbe
   terminal_output gfxterm
fi

set menu_color_normal=green/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/green

menuentry "Funtoo Linux Gentoo Kernel - Genkernel Initramfs - nVidia off!" {
  outb 0x728 1 # Switch select
  outb 0x710 2 # Switch display
  outb 0x740 2 # Switch DDC
  outb 0x750 0 # Power Down discrete graphics
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod fat
  linux /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.11.10-gentoo crypt_root=/dev/sda2 dozfs real_root=ZFS=tank/os/funtoo/root acpi_osi="Linux" i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
  initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.11.10-gentoo
  set gfxpayload=keep
}

menuentry "Funtoo Linux Gentoo Kernel - Genkernel Initramfs - nVidia on!" {
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod fat
  linux /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.11.10-gentoo crypt_root=/dev/sda2 dozfs real_root=ZFS=tank/os/funtoo/root acpi_osi="Linux" i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
  initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.11.10-gentoo
  set gfxpayload=keep
}

set default=0

Kernel Config

I'm really frustated right now, so every piece of help would be awesome. I'm even thinking about going back to OSX!

#2 2014-02-24 16:51:44

aramis_qc

Re: EFI, ZFS and Grub

Is kernel configured for EFI ?

#3 2014-02-25 21:30:02

ivanvcouso

Yes, it is:

CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y

I reinstalled OS X, I'm busy lately with school and I cannot afford having the laptop unusable, but I would like to install Funtoo alone and VM with everything else. Anyway I have been thinking about ZFS and the license issues. Is there any real advantage of going ZFS with the Solaris Porting Layer over BTRFS? I know that even if it's marked still as experimental, it's much more stable than years ago.

#4 2014-02-26 01:50:07

aramis_qc

Please watch for ZFS video. I think there's an option in grub.cfg that must be enabled. It's EFI.

Last edited by aramis_qc (2014-02-26 01:50:37)

#5 2014-02-27 09:15:28

ivanvcouso

Checked the video, didn't use bliss-boot, tried with bliss-kernel tho. I installed grub with GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" in make.conf and my grub.cfg has, in theory, everything needed to boot, no luck anyway.
What's weird it's that isn't even a zfs problem, because I tried with btrfs and wasn't booting anyway. So I'm starting to think that it's a problem with the dual graphic card and the apple gmux. This weekend I will try again and comment the results here smile

#6 2014-03-05 23:51:54

aramis_qc

Does SystemRescueCd boot fine ?

#7 2014-03-11 10:05:33

ivanvcouso

Yes, do you suggest to use the grub.cfg from SysRes? I thought about it, also about using Refind instead of Grub2.

Anyway, I saw that the ZFS Install Guide now recommends a separate partition for swap. I need to redesign the system, as I'm very concerned about security on my machines. That's why I was more oriented to ZFS on LUKS with a swap dataset. I'm going post another question in this forum about that. Once I solve the partition & filesystems issues I will post here the results about the booting process, which I'm pretty sure it's related to being a Macbook with NVidia/Intel dual GPU.

Thanks for the input smile

Board footer