You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-04 20:42:55

d2_racing
Staff

What WM are you using these days ?

Just a quick survey to find out which WM are you using.

If you want choice :

Awesome
Fluxbox
Gnome
KDE
Lxde
OpenBox
WMII
Xfce

Plus any variation, like OpenBox + Gnome or WMII+KDE

Right now, I'm using KDE, but I'm still open to switch to Openbox tongue

#2 2011-01-04 23:50:27

Piotr
Banned

Re: What WM are you using these days ?

gnome, kde, lxde and xfce are DE, not WM (lxde uses openbox).

I preffer plain openbox, with tint2 as a taskbar, that's all.

#3 2011-01-04 23:50:38

ulenrich

Kde on Openbox - Kwin is waste.
I have just seen PCLOS-E17, which is a quiet nice kde on E17. E17 sponsored by an asian phone manufacturer has very clean and performant libraries - implemented art of programing...

Last edited by ulenrich (2011-01-04 23:54:07)

#4 2011-01-05 01:24:18

cchalpha

openbox + pypanel and feh to display a wallpaper I like, ibus+sunpinyin as my faviour IM. I'll put these into my ob-de-meta package, it's not yet commit to personal overlay yet.

#5 2011-01-05 02:19:25

dmshelton

fluxbox

#6 2011-01-05 07:56:53

chickenkiller

Awesome and WMII at work for productivity

latest svn revision of E17 and the EFL at home for fun, with efenniht theme. Must say that productivity is good on this one as well since keybindings are very customisable, and since it's getting more and more stable I think I'll consider using it at work too sooner or later.

Aside note, I'd like to try openbox since I hear lots of satisfaction from its users, but I am a bit hesitating because of the XML format configuration files. I must say that I hate manipulating XML. So one question for OB users, does ObConf do all the work for you or you often have to manipulate the XML config files by hand?

Thanks,
Lionel

#7 2011-01-05 12:48:17

tarsius

I am using wmii, before that I was using it's precursor wmi. For a while I've been using xmonad. Before I've probably been using "the one that comes with gnome", though I have no idea for how long I suffered by not using a a tiling window manager. (I do however remember for how long I used a non-Gentoo linux - two weeks after that I could not handle opensuse anymore mad).

If you are not already using a tiling window manager I strongly recommend you try them out - if you do any coding, especially if you are using a real editor like emacs or vi, it will make it much easier to navigate between windows. (If all you do is browse the interwebs just maximize chromium wink).

A big difference between wmii and most other tiling wms is that the former organizes windows in columns of stacked windows. You can then choose on a per-column basis whether to show just one of the windows or all of them. Other tiling wms organize windows in a master and a slave region which probably is confusing to newcomers. (I personally prefer the wmii approach, in fact a major reason why I aborted my venture into xmonad was that it's emulation of wmii did not really work for me.)

Here is a list of tiling wms:

There are some other wm I am interested in despite not supporting tiling:

So many interesting project and so little time to test them all. For now: start with wmii or awesome. Or pay me to test all these and write a detailed review big_smile.

Oh, and if you are using wmii please not that I am maintaining the ebuild in the funtoo tree. Please report any problems that you find.

Last edited by tarsius (2011-01-05 12:57:06)

#8 2011-01-05 12:50:19

tarsius

chickenkiller wrote:

Awesome and WMII at work for productivity
Aside note, I'd like to try openbox

Why would you want to go back to something like this? tongue

#9 2011-01-07 19:04:47

angry_vincent
Staff

zsh smile

#10 2011-01-08 02:23:00

golodhrim
Funtoo Goth Dev

I used awesome, but it is really resourcehungry if you run it a longer time...

so now I switched to Openbox with bmpanel and nitrogen for background...

#11 2011-01-08 03:52:24

d2_racing
Staff

First time that I see bmpanel.

It seems to be better then tinit2...

#12 2011-01-15 21:13:45

gtomy

KDE

#13 2011-01-16 05:48:42

leprosys

Awesome in fresh install smile

#14 2011-02-03 11:26:59

Orivej Desh

I was with xmonad for three years, ever since KDE 4.0 was released, when I abandoned openbox + kicker from KDE 3.  It always was xmonad + plasma-desktop.  I stick with KDE because it has unmatched application integration, and clipboard contents are safe regardless of what a newly opened dialog fancies to highlight; they also optimized konsole somewhere along the way (KDE 4.4?) so that even urxvt appears sluggish compared to it, and unlimited scrollback is great!  In KDE 4.5 they ported some applications (klipper, kxkb) into plasma widgets, KDE became unusable without `export KDE_FULL_SESSION=true' and I had to copy a number of parts from `startkde' to my local `.xsession'.  (I didn't want to launch startkde directly because it pulled a couple of services I didn't need and because graphical configuration, of startup for example, is not a pleause for me.)  Xmonad support for KDE was great until KDE embraced plasma windows, such as the application launcher, the new notifications widget, the expandable tray, and glitches were becoming less and less bearable.  Finally the new KDE 4.6 came out which promised decent window tiling support, and I switched from xmonad xsession setup to a pure KDE, together with my favourite key bindings.  So far, mostly good.  Only, emacs window cannot be maximized completely, and I now need a separate desktop for a single konsole because I set its transparency to 80% — otherwise I cannot even see a use case for desktop widgets — which worked fine with xmonad which hides every tiled window not in the foreground.
http://orivej.narod.ru/screenshots/2011 … .thumb.png

Last edited by Orivej Desh (2011-02-03 11:44:55)

#15 2011-02-03 15:09:08

tarsius

I am about to add i3 to the tree.

The major aspect by with I categorize tiling window managers is whether they use a master/slave or a columns concept.

I have never tried the older X11 tiling wms ratpoison, larswm and ion but started with wmi (window manager improved) and then moved on to wmii (window manager improved improved).  I expect that ratpoison, larswm and ion were closer to the columns concept than to the master/slave concept.

But then something unexpected happended wmi/wmii's author did not move on to wmiii, wmiv, wmv as originally intended but wrote dwm which was much simpler.  With that not only became the mailing list more hostile to non C programmers but also the columns concept lost ground quickly.

Nowadays people implementing their own wms mostly take inspiration from dwm not wmii or even wmi (which had some features removed from wmii).  This seems only natural as it takes a non-conformist to give tiling window managers a change in the first place, and m/s is certainly more hardcore.

Even with all these new tiling wms poping up here and there I have sticked to the (staled) wmi series all these years only giving xmonad a change.  But it failed to bring me back into the mainstream of non-conformist wms :-)

There is one major reason to this: unlike many hardcore tilers I have just one monitor and it is a big; one 30 inches.  The tiling crowd seams to favor several monitors >= 24 inches instead, but I have made the investement, so I stick to what I have.

With such a monitor the current implementations of the master/slave concept fail.  Instead I use three columns and normally work in the middle.  On one side their are additional windows containing source files related to the current work and on the other side browser windows. (I am more liberal about it than summerized here, also I do other things but coding...)

I am not aware of a dwm-derivate supporting having slaves on both sides of the master also I would need something more like a master/his-wive/slave.

So i3 is a promising wm - I am pretty sure i3 is just another name for wmiii.

It finally brings some of the features found in m/s wms to the column ones. Like e.g. (optional) removal of window titles.

I have used it all day yesterday and really liked it a lot it really is wmii improved but unfortunatly it also still has some bugs that keep me from switching. But I will certainly keep an eye on it.  But for now I want to focus on Funtoo (and the Emacsmirror) so I don't have the time to convince upstream to fix these bugs (there already is a long list of aging bugs).

So in a bit I will add i3 to the tree.  I think it is stable enough to go into current/unstable/next.  Give it a try.

#16 2011-02-03 22:18:06

ulenrich

I have just unmasked all of kde-4.6.0* and got all compiled, even pykde4, on 64bit. I used openbox as windowmanager with an openbox-kde session, but changed to kwin now:
- I enabled composite effects, but disabled all features
- then I configured window dekorations of qtcurve, without borders but simple shadows

This procedure makes a nice looking kwin stable even when starting videos, I hope, despite:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 … ment-25245

"Video is bad for a composite window manager. When I watch videos I deactivate compositing effects"

translated by me.

#17 2011-02-10 17:07:35

icon

Once I've set up X, I've though about using WMFS as my main wm. Though I'm thinking of having Compiz-Fusion as my seconds one, just cause I sometimes enjoy playing with eye candy.

#18 2011-02-10 17:37:38

tarsius

icon wrote:

Once I've set up X, I've though about using WMFS as my main wm.

Please keep us updated. I am also considering wmfs.

If you create an ebuild I can add it to my overlay (merged into portage tree).

#19 2011-02-11 05:39:57

Cndy

I like Openbox and XMonad

#20 2011-02-11 09:13:07

messana

Hello Cyndi, do not think bad, I'm doing you a compliment you are fantastic.
I follow your post, you make me shiver .. ah ah ah!
I'm not a programmer like you but a simple desktop user, but discontent could not do what I want with my pc I have come to funtoo.
Anyway my favorite wm seen my household, internet, video editing, photo correction, text editor is kde.
I remain fascinated by your use of minimal, all from the terminal.
Congratulations! Good day!
smile
http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/11/60/59/48/scherm11.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1rgzas … dded#at=26

Last edited by messana (2011-02-11 09:22:30)

#21 2011-02-11 12:11:37

404_Error
Core Team Member

Messana, great desktop background image btw smile

#22 2011-02-21 17:05:28

icon

tarsius wrote:
icon wrote:

Once I've set up X, I've though about using WMFS as my main wm.

Please keep us updated. I am also considering wmfs.

If you create an ebuild I can add it to my overlay (merged into portage tree).

I would love to, if I only knew how... lol

#23 2011-02-21 18:56:00

méson te kai áriston

KDE+KWin... Future plans: LXDE+Compiz (Emerald)+Cairo-Dock (or Kiba Dock...) cool

#24 2011-03-03 17:35:20

splinux

musca is also a great tiling manager. It's a mixte between "ratpoison" and "dwm" and it's pretty light!

http://aerosuidae.net/musca.html

Just emerge it smile

#25 2011-03-03 22:24:17

tarsius

splinux wrote:

musca is also a great tiling manager. It's a mixte between "ratpoison" and "dwm" and it's pretty light!

I also considered musca but have not actually tried it - mostly because there were no commits for over a year now.

Board footer