Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

custom kernel 4.5.2 and catalyst amd driver

Hello I'm new here, i experiment a little bit on funtoo and I admit the world of custom kernel is new for me 

My problem is during the install of catalyst driver 14-20 from the amd site on a custom 4.5.2 kernel.  I had build the header whith make headers_install and in first I had an issue that said version.h not found so I had copy the file in /lib/modules/4.5.2/build/include/linux/version.h but after this I had another issue :

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/4.5.2/build SUBDIRS=/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.5.2'
  CC [M]  /lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:194:22: fatal error: asm/i387.h: No such file or di$
 #include "asm/i387.h"
                      ^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o' fai$
make[2]: *** [/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
Makefile:1391: recipe for target '_module_/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.5.2'
Makefile:88: recipe for target 'kmod_build' failed
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

furthermore I had read somthing I think about it on fedora (https://bluehatrecord.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/installing-the-proprietary-amd-catalyst-15-9-fglrx-15-201-driver-on-fedora-22-with-linux-kernel-4-1-6/)but the english is not my language and all this stuff  are news for me (kernel, funtoo, and graphical driver hack )

can someone help me ? 

ps: i'm not use to post on forums and with html sorry if they are no html balise.

I had trie with crimson 15.12, here is the issue 

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/4.5.2/build SUBDIRS=/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.5.2'
  CC [M]  /lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ?firegl_major_proc_read?:
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:634:9: error: void value not ignored as it ought to 
     len = seq_printf(m, "%d\n", major);
         ^
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_fpu_save_init?:
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6458:49: error: ?XSTATE_FP? undeclared (first use in
       if (!(fpu->state.xsave.header.xfeatures & XSTATE_FP))
                                                 ^
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6458:49: note: each undeclared identifier is reporte
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6448:12: warning: ?KCL_fpu_save_init? defined but no
 static int KCL_fpu_save_init(struct task_struct *tsk)
            ^
scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o' fail
make[2]: *** [/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
Makefile:1391: recipe for target '_module_/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib64/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.5.2'
Makefile:88: recipe for target 'kmod_build' failed
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

Driver source code has to be modified a.k.a. patched because your trying to build it against a newer kernel than when it was written.

Its like a key that only works in one lock,if you change the lock(kernel version) or key(driver version) it no longer works.

This can also apply to the build tool chain, glibc,gcc,libtool,dep versions when building other software.

I let the developers determine the versions,write the patches, so it builds on my computer.

When there's a problem I can file a bug report.

Hello cardinal,

I'm not sure to understand; do you purpose to file a bug report for my case ? 

if i understand well, my answer is I don't know !! how long is in general the time for the dev to make a patch like that ?

and i'm not sure it 's really important i just need the catalyst for virtualgl.
I try to make it work with an app server on xen or kvm and the graphics with virtualgl on the dom0 
I had yet make it work with a xen serv and an ssh connexion with a virtualgl machine and another ssh connection with a thin client (little tricky i know :D ) i'd like to know if its possible to do work 2 or 3  minecraft client with one hd7970 i don't need, i think the last kernel for that

have fun !

thank you Oleg. I will try today, but I don't use hardened kernel, I use current piledriver stable

hope it will not be disturbing

Have fun !!

[edit] 

ok lol in waiting to a fix thank you !! 

i juste post my issue on bug.funtoo as comment i don't know if it's the good process

say me if i did something wrong i'm not use to this (post on forums , bug reports)