Photo

What kind of hardware do you have and how do you use it?

hardware build desktop

8 replies to this topic

maldoror

maldoror

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'll answer first so you get an idea.

I play around with Funtoo on this desktop. I'm dual-booting until I become comfortable enough with it. Hopefully I'll become a Linux whiz sometime in the future. I also play around with programming, just python for now.

The build is pretty simple:

• Mobo: MSI MS-7788
  • CPU: Intel Pentium G630
  • RAM: 4.00GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX650

In the future I hope to build a new more powerful desktop for faster compile times and such.This one is okay for now because I'm really just a beginner.

I think it would be cool to have a list of working hardware builds with different use cases, listing how long it takes to do things like compile a kernel or commands like:

emerge -auDN @world

. :D

nrc

nrc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio, USA

My latest machine is an Alienware Steam Machine (nee Alienware Alpha).  I wanted to maintain a clean copy of SteamOS to see how it would develop so for my normal desktop use I added a USB3 SSD and installed Funtoo to dual boot.

Intel Core i7-4785T CPU @ 2.20GHz

8GB

GeForce GTX 860M

The problem with comparing compile times is that there are thousands of different variables in there.   Kernel versions and options will differ and emerge commands pull in completely different collections depending on your install.

maldoror

maldoror

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The problem with comparing compile times is that there are thousands of different variables in there.   Kernel versions and options will differ and emerge commands pull in completely different collections depending on your install.

Ah. That's a consideration that I did not make. Rookie mistake, I guess. I still think it's interesting to see what everyone else is doing. How's SteamOS by the way?

nrc

nrc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio, USA

Ah. That's a consideration that I did not make. Rookie mistake, I guess. I still think it's interesting to see what everyone else is doing. How's SteamOS by the way?

SteamOS does what it's supposed to do in providing a reliable platform for games.  There's really nothing special about it other than the fact that it boots straight into Valve's console-style interface.  I keep it around for times like now where something in my Funtoo install is causing games to run slow.

aryvandaar

aryvandaar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNorway

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

AMD FX 4130 3.8 Ghz

12 GB RAM

Evga GeForce 960 GTX 4 GB

I have dual boot with Windows 7 for some multiplayer games that I play with friends and The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. 

"Loyalty above all else except honour."

Desktop: Funtoo Plasma

Laptop: Windows 8

poliakov

poliakov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Thinkpad t440s mainly use for browsing web, some games (meat boy, pillar of eternity mainly) and for work remotly

• maldoror likes this

Otakku

Otakku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBrazil

I Use a Asus ROG 750jx.

Havis

Havis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

CPU: i7 6700k@stock

RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Fury

MB: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming7

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX480 8GB Nitro

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD: 6x Seagate 3TB in RAID6

Sound: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

This is essentially my home workstation. I use it for coding, testing, virtualization (KVM & LXC) and gaming.

It's fast and everything feels really snappy.

Everything works with open-source drivers on current v4.9 kernel.

Radeon RX480 uses new open-source AMDGPU drivers (in kernel since v4.7). It's extremly fast and stable (at least compared with other GPU's that I've seen on Linux)

I also have Thinkpad E540, that I use when I'm not home.

sevendogs

sevendogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hello everyone, first post, first time using Funtoo, although I used Gentoo for several years back in the early/mid 2000's. Here is my daily use rig:

HP z800 workstation

2 x 6core Xeons X5650  @ 2.67GHz

96gb ram

3 SSDs  (1.2tb total)

2 spinning drives (3tb total)

Nvidia GTX560

1100 watt power supply

Since I can't afford a Dodge Hellcat Challenger, this has to suffice :)

Been using Linux for nearly 20 years as my main desktop. I have made a conscious decision to never depend on Microsoft (or Apple) products for anything (except gaming) so have happily been using Linux for everything. The rig above is my main desktop. I use it for writing, graphic editing, surfing, bills, taxes, email, everything one uses a desktop for.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware, build, desktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users