Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

VMWARE ESX - Funtoo Server as Guest

dneto

Question

HI mates,

I was an addicted Gentoo user in (G)old DRobbins days, but I followed differente way in carreer that keep me away from linux community, so sorry for maybe stupid and n00b questions here. :)

I'm looking for the good practices for my Funtoo Server as guest in a VMWARE ESX Environment, since the Gentoo Wikis and Blogs Articles are outated or related to VMWARE Workstation/Player

I'm using the mix-ins: vmware-guest and everything is running well such X, XFCE , inputs, etc. But I missing the vmware tools. I have install the vmware-tools package, but not install from ISO, since the install request some rc.d locations and I  fear that broke something.

Anyone have some tricks or help with put the funtoo guest to report to hypervervisor correctly? Some best practices for custom kernel, etc? I follow some old wikis and blogs, but I'm not sure if I'm optimized.

Sorry by badly english, and long life to Funtoo. 

Regards

2 answers to this question

Searching some articles and wikis on web, i made my own optimized kernel 

1. I use the "Debian HCL" site to check some hardwares tips (link)

2. My Config File (4.3.0 gentoo-sources) :

* Totally disabled IPV6 Stack;
* Using NFTables;

* Disabled VMWGFX (DRI VMWare Driver - Not Working with me and hangs the start of eUDEV - "processsing udev" ....);
* Enabled UVESAFB

TODO: 

- Make the WMWGFX Works optimized (Yes, I use the XFCE to run some special apps)

My Kernel Config:

http://pastebin.com/Sn2eFARg

PS: I cannot attach, says invalid type.

Ive got a few funtoo images in gentoo, built from the recovery CD of course.  I can offer a few pointers certainly :)

• dont disable ipv6 unless there is an explicit (and good) reason.  EG you're running HPC in an infiniband cluster or something, or RDMA over converged ethernet. 
  • enable VMXNET3 ethernet driver in the kernel.  this is a faster driver not because Linux is better at using it, but because the VMWare hypervisor doesnt have to work to virtualize an ethernet driver.
  • ensure the video card in the vsphere console is set to intel, or some manageable low-overhead card, and X should just work with stock drivers.  Granted, you can use VESA and such but 2d accelleration wont be available using GL. 
  • dont run vmware tools.  its a crutch for people who dont have a monitoring solution.  it poisons the kernel to snoop processes for io stats in order to manage backend storage allocations, which can actually degrade performance in large VMWare environments with MCLOCK set to 0.  VMXNET3 has already been included in the kernel for ages now, so again, avoid this "toolset"