Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Why does updates bring much new packages?

falmer

Some time ago I was not amused to see that the update to ncurses 6 brings ruby to my box. Why is this necessary?

Now I have a new issue like this: the update of asciidoc needs a full texlive! Why?

My box runs well without these packages. But should I mask the updates to hold my system small? Or is there another way?

Thank you for some hints or solutions.

Thank you for your reply.

And to edit my first entry: it was wxGTK that needs in the new version 3.0 not only some ruby related stuff, it brings also webkit as a dependency.

If it was not for this particular one package I can live good without this.

I will look for a solution of this in the Gentoo forums.

Do you have the test USE flag enabled in make.conf or package.use?, I was reading the ebuild for asciidoc and only when the test use flag is enabled texlive-latex is pulled, I suspect you might have enabled too many USE flags you don't really need.

Regarding ruby, the thing is webkit-gtk uses it for generating some files during build, and you got wxGTK with the webkit USE flag, disable that, but It might be actually needed by some application(portage will complain in that case).

HI j-g-,

no I haven't enabled test.anywhere. The output from the emerge tells:

[ebuild     U  ] app-text/asciidoc-8.6.9-r2::gentoo [8.6.9-r1::gentoo] USE="-examples -graphviz -highlight {-test} -vim-syntax" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -pypy" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -pypy" 0 KiB

And regarding ruby: I don't like applications that bring much versions of the 'same' thing. On my box a emerge -pv --depclean tells:

dev-lang/ruby
    selected: 1.9.3_p551-r1
   protected: none
     omitted: 2.0.0_p647-r1 2.1.7 2.2.3-r1

If it was only the last one (2.2.3-r1) i don't complain about it.

Then asciidoc isn't pulling texlive, my suspicion would be some package wants to build documentation and it has/generates the sources in latex for it and then a pdf(tipically), check if any package has the doc USE flag this is tusually what causes latex to get pulled by random packages that you wouldn't think need it. Also if an ebuild requires a specific version of ruby to build a package there should be a reason for it, so you are wasting your time trying to avoid it, I told you how to avoid webkit so portage won't ask for ruby but if you want webkit you will have to get ruby, I think you want to see the slim installation you get with a binary distro but that won't happen, you will always get more packages when you not only run but also build your packages.

PD: webkits are some of the packages that take the loger to build, but they are getting more and more used with everything going cluod and web these days. so if an application wants to render html internally, it means you will have to compile webkit and be patient about it, or not use that application/ not compile the feature.

On my system, gparted was installed with the btrfs useflag. Reinstalling without btrfs useflag killed all the asciidoc and texlive dependencies. I guess the docs for btrfs needs asciidoc and texlive?

grep btrfs /usr/portage/sys-block/gparted/gparted-0.24.0.ebuild 
IUSE="btrfs dmraid f2fs fat hfs jfs kde mdadm ntfs policykit reiserfs reiser4 xfs"
	btrfs? ( sys-fs/btrfs-progs )

sys-fs/btrfs-progs-4.2.2.ebuild :

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        convert? ( sys-apps/acl )
        app-text/asciidoc
        app-text/docbook-xml-dtd:4.5
        app-text/xmlto
"

With todays update, asciidoc updated without the whole texlive stuff.

Since I use btrfs I also need the documentation. But there are much more packages that need asciidoc for documentation, i.e. the X-server and some x-libraries and git.