Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

crazy usb

Hello,

does anybody knows why my usb mouse works when a turn my machine on with usb mouse attached to it and it does not work when my usb mouse it's not?

I've check out the modules and they are the same. I've re-emerge xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-mouse. But didn't work.

Thank you!

Hmm, not sure what OP is saying, but am suspicious, I have a minor usb mouse problem I have attributed to xorg-server >1.15.0.  Last night I emerged these and the the problem noted at http://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-1300?focusedCommentId=17124&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-17124 began:

x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0
x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.4
x11-libs/glamor-0.6.0-r1
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.8.4
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.6
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.911-r1
app-portage/elogviewer-2.1-r1
gnome-base/librsvg-2.40.2
media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r6
media-sound/mpg123-1.20.1
app-text/poppler-0.26.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.912-r1

It would appear that this is not a widespread problem, but in case others have it I'll post what I found.

No clue as to what made this suddenly appear in my peaceful little world.  Ruled out laptop-mode tools right away, which brought me to the kernel autosuspend stuff in /sys/bus/usb/devices/<your device>/power.  Echo -1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/<your device>/power/autosuspend turns off the autosuspend completely, although I'd prefer to simply make it wake up properly, will work on that.

Paul Bradbury over at gentoo forums posted a handy script to tell you your device name:

for d in /sys/bus/usb/devices/[0-9]* ; do if [[ -e $d/product ]] ; then echo -e "`basename $d`\t`cat $d/power/control`\t`cat $d/speed`\t`cat $d/product`" ; fi ; done

USB mouse needs to be plugged in when your machine is booting? Sounds like USB hotplugging is not working properly...

Have you upgraded to eudev?

Yes I've.

And I've udev as well.

Should I take one out? If yes, which one?

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

eudev and sys-fs/udev can't really be installed alongside each other. We are moving to eudev, so that is the one you should use.

This issue may be related to the recent eudev transition, or new X stuff in our tree, or some combination.

Since I don't quite comprehend the original question by the OP I don't know if this helps him.  But I have discovered that laptop-mode tools has had a major change that deprecates the usb-autosuspend module.  So my statements in /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf no longer had any effect whatsoever.  There is a new runtime-pm.conf in the same directory that is in control instead.  By blacklisting my mouse in there now all works as before.

#/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/runtime-pm.conf
AUTOSUSPEND_RUNTIME_DEVID_BLACKLIST="046d:c016"

My problem was that I've installed in my system the tree packages sys-fs/eudev, sys-fs/mdev and sys-fs/udev.

I take mdev and udev out... reboot the system and now is everything working.

Thanks a lot for the help!