Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Graphic drivers for an old videocard.

Sandro

Question

Hi To All :)

I-m compiling Funtoo on a PC of a my friend... based on an Athlon x64x2 5600+ with 2 GiB ram.

sysresccd / # lspci|grep -i vga
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

Which drivers are compatible? 96.X , 173.X, nouveau or also others?

Thanks for the answers :)

PS> excuse me .... but the USE "vdpau" function for nouveau or only for proprietary nvidia-drivers ?

Thanx to All :)

6 answers to this question

Excuse me but I'm on text mode using links; for now I'm using "nouveau" drivers. But if if possible i'd like to use proprietary accelerated graphics drivers; beh however I can make various experiments. the trouble is that recompile a kernel with athlon 64x2 @2,8 GHz takes a very long time.

So if there is a conseil it will be truely appreciated.

Hi To All Dear Funtoo Users :)

Sorry, but the nvidia-304 doesn't compile. May depend by the kernel version (I'm using 4.0.5; is too advanced ?)

This is the log

Thank You.

PS With vesa drivers the graphic works (with disabled "nouveau" in kernel and VIDEO_CARDS="vesa".

PS2: with system-rescue live cd, the nouveau runs. The version of kernel of the SRCD that i've used has the  3.14.48-std454 kernel.

Why experiment can i do ???

Thanks for any suggestion.

Another experiment failed: gentoo-sources-3.14.48 with nouveau seems to work but after few time .... KO! ... system locked.

Now I'm trying to use this kernel with nvidia 340.X

Excuse me for multiple posts :(

PS now the 304.X has compiled with gentoo-3.14.48; contemporarely the system is compiling "mesa" and with an Athlon 64x2 there will be a lot of time.

I wish tomorrow to find the solution.  :rolleyes: .

Otherwise i'll search for an used supported nvidia card to make my friend able to use simply this PC with the magic Funtoo :P