Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

debian-sources for...

linuxbigot

Question

5 answers to this question

Doesn't Gentoo already have debian-sources?

If not, it's probably doable, though it might take a bit of work.  You could do it manually, just download the tarball and unzip it to /usr/src/debian-sources-version-whatever and configure and go.  That's actually probably really easy, assuming you know where the tarball is.  If you don't, you could set up a local overlay and copy Funtoo's debian-sources ebuild over, set your use flags, and off you go.  You may need to copy over dependencies too, but probably not difficult to figure that out.

So doable?  Sure!  Easy?  No idea!  But let us know, and tell us how you did it, because that knowledge may help someone else some day!

Sure is doable and is really easy, as installing any other kernel sources, just try putting the ebuild in your local overlay. or adding the funtoo overlay with a lower priority than ::gentoo on repos.conf, and emerging the sources, is not like a kernel has any runtime dependencies right? it is the runtime dependency to start a user space. I have never used debian-sources but I looked at the ebuild and I saw nothing there that could make it not work on gentoo, but I don't feel like trying I don't like debian-sources.