Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

mouse,keyboard,frozen...

iamthepieman

Question

PASTEBIN PASTEBIN PASTEBIN!

Dunno who asked to look at your dmesg, but its not where you should start. As I said, Xorg.log. And WTF are you using btrfs? Basics first. Btrfs looks cool, but that's kinds advanced if you don't know if you need ACPI or not. ACPI is Advanced Configuration Power Interface. On a laptop, you want it. Desktop it would be optional and definately not related to the issue at hand.

Did you Google ACPI before asking?

you still didn't answer if you were hooting natively or chrooted. if the file is empty, you have other issues. Xorg always makes a log. Try running startx with output and stderr redirected to a file so you can at least see what's going on.

dmesg doesn't tell me what's wrong with X.

You aren't hooting the kernel you just built. You are spinning you wheels. Finish your install according to the HowTo, get grub installed, get it hooting. Then emerge your syslog and other stuff the HowTo mentions. Once you are booting native, come back and try X again.

and that looks good, but are you booting into your system as uudruid74 sugested?

Or are you chroot into it and trying to startx?

Is no reason to startx in a chroot, just fix it to boot, and then go from there.

Step 1 : Learn how to find your log files

Step 2 : Learn how to redirect the output of a command to a file

Step 3 : Learn to follow the steps people are giving you and only post what is being asked for! Don't flood the forum with useless crap like the Xorg log from the system rescue cd! Why would we need that?

Once again, I think you need to go back to basics and learn basic Linux. Try Fedora or Sabayon.

Let's start again...

I have twm, I can see the 3 terminals and the clock but NO pointer and the keybo dead...

I installed the minimal system with systemrescuecd...

Both as # root or $ user ---> frozen mouse and kb...

The installed kernel was gentoo-sources 4.0.5...

Each day I get the system by chroot...

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is empty...

Acer Aspire E1-431-2842 INTEL,ALPS,SYNAPTICS,BROADCOM,

https://driverscollection.com/?H=Aspire%20E1-431&By=ACER

Tia!

So you are running in a chroot, I have never tried to start X as root in a chroot,  I didn't know you could get to display something my guess is /dev/ is not being handled properly by the chroot , stop that, boot your real installation and stop using startx as root, or get a display manager you would be better using one of those.

Install a bootlader if you haven't already, and boot the real thing, theres a kernel already installed at this point I'm not sure if your 4.0.5 kernel is built or you have only installed the sources. and don't try building a personalized kernel until you know all the drivers and cpu options required for your computer, take your time(not ours) to figure out those things.

Also are you sure you want twm?

Again read the documentation you are not following a proper installation procedure, and no one wants to post a personalized version of what's in the wiki.

and that looks good, but are you booting into your system as uudruid74 sugested?

Or are you chroot into it and trying to startx?

Is no reason to startx in a chroot, just fix it to boot, and then go from there.

See above this person is trying to start X in a chroot, ignoring documentation and advice.

OP deleted their replies but this one was quoted in one of mine's.

edited!

Why are you deleting everything you posted? makig this topic further obscure and really pushing away anyone that still might want to help you.

Follow instructions properly and DO NOT install a graphical system until you have booted your new installation!!!

If you can't get what this means you still have lots to learn about basics.

Step 1 : Learn how to find your log files

Step 2 : Learn how to redirect the output of a command to a file

Step 3 : Learn to follow the steps people are giving you and only post what is being asked for! Don't flood the forum with useless crap like the Xorg log from the system rescue cd! Why would we need that?

Once again, I think you need to go back to basics and learn basic Linux. Try Fedora or Sabayon.

+1 for this, but Fedora has times when more than noob-level knowledge is required, I would recomend

First Ubuntu or Mint, to learn the basics of shell and package management

Install Debian using debootstrap or Arch, that should give you knowledge about putting together parts from a base system to a server or desktop.

Then come again to Funtoo or Gentoo, and you can tune your system as you want and your imagination is the limit(And maybe package.mask some times )

+1 for this, but Fedora has times when more than noob-level knowledge is required, I would recomend

First Ubuntu or Mint, to learn the basics of shell and package management

Install Debian using debootstrap or Arch, that should give you knowledge about putting together parts from a base system to a server or desktop.

Then come again to Funtoo or Gentoo, and you can tune your system as you want and your imagination is the limit(And maybe package.mask some times )

I didn't recommend Ubuntu because I'm boycotting them.  Their GUI doesn't give you a way to display the apps you have installed so that you will use the search feature ... which sends your search results to Amazon!  Not only does Amazon get to track you, but you get "product recommendations" on your desktop.   Linux is now more commercialized than Windows!

Arch may be too complicated for him.  Mint could be okay - but I've not used it.  Sabayon is pretty damn easy, and you can play with "emerge" after its installed.  I need to get back to my Funtoo-based binary-distro-for-noobs idea someday.

I didn't recommend Ubuntu because I'm boycotting them.  Their GUI doesn't give you a way to display the apps you have installed so that you will use the search feature ... which sends your search results to Amazon!  Not only does Amazon get to track you, but you get "product recommendations" on your desktop.   Linux is now more commercialized than Windows!

Arch may be too complicated for him.  Mint could be okay - but I've not used it.  Sabayon is pretty damn easy, and you can play with "emerge" after its installed.  I need to get back to my Funtoo-based binary-distro-for-noobs idea someday.

I give you unity is the worst thing has ever happened to a desktop, I haven't tried the other ubuntu flavors recently but I'd say Xubuntu is still a nice not-so-bloated noob-friendly distro, I should have added the 'X' , thou my personal recomendation for noobs  has been Linux Mint, as I say "Ubuntu without the crap" I have had good experiences recommending it to very non-technical people and now they do their own installs and have learned to upgrade their system, and aren't constantly asking for my help, in fact almost never, The good thing about Mint is It comes with the right tools for the everyday pc user, a web browser(firefox), libreoffice for documents, and a media player(the always good vlc),  and Cinnamon is very pleasing to the eye, so most people just install it and don't need to search anymore for software (e.g. Don't go to suspicious guides telling them to add unoffical packages and install .debs by hand, that will break their upgrades later).

Debian via debootstrap and Arch are for when you have covered the basics of course!