Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

moving from funtoo to gentoo...

iamthepieman

Question

8 answers to this question

The biggest problem would be the tool chain.

Funtoo uses slightly older or modified system infrustructure. Am emabarrased to say, do not have my funtoo box booted and on osx to compare.

But just gcc for example is older on funtoo then gentoo.

So all your system has been compiled with newer, and would need to recompile everything with the older. You may as well do a clean install.

The reason for this is simple, funtoo is based off of the ~ gentoo arch, you have all the ~ packages available, but the tool chain is gaurded carefully and only updated as needed or for a reason.

This is one of the most awesome aspects of funtoo, is why it is more stable then the average ~gentoo install, not the only  reason, but a very important reason.

Can you? sure , but it really wont be supported since you would be using a different tool chain then funtoo. And by the time you got it 100% funtoo ... A clean install is much better.

Not sure what  all is old in funtoo means.

I know some of the core system packages are older by design, and that is what will help make your funtoo stable.

While the rest of the packages are pulled from the ~gentoo arch, so should be the same.

While some packages are forked to keep a better working older version or some are simply masked as being broken.

And of course you have overlays available and other avenues to get newer packages.

One way is to put in a package request on https://bugs. funtoo.org/ if it is possible to do so without breaking things for others, is a very good chance will be done.

I do not know your experience with gentoo / funtoo, I honestly think a good comparison is to use both.

At one time I had several machines all on gentoo, and I loved it. I had several friends that had switched to funtoo, I really had no plans to change.

One day I finally did give funtoo a try, and within 6 months I switched everything from gentoo to funtoo. I am very happy I did finally make the change.

But using gentoo for some time, I noticed the differences between the two, and how much time funtoo had saved me from fixing broken packages.

I liked that it had some older packages.

To be fair though, you should do a clean install with any distro to try it out and compare it with others. I am a big fan of, use the distro that works best for you.

I still use windows on my htpc because of netflix. This is no longer needed, but at the time, it was the best os for the job.

Just want to be clear, if you think gentoo works best for you, then by all means use gentoo.

But if you just have some problems with a few out dated packages, there are ways to fix that.

Some things in Funtoo are old, and so maybe some users want to go to Gentoo. Also, some packages are left out to upgrade, such as Samba, Subunit, Python and PHP (recent versions are masked and I don't know why). I understand why GCC is still 4.9 in Funtoo, as so as GTK+3 and GNOME, which needs some work to go without Systemd and with OpenRC (which is also a little bit older).
Anyways, it also ensures most of the packages (in Current) are stable and functional. Maybe more stable is Funtoo current than Gentoo unstable, as some commented.

gcc is a good example, I sent a link to you on forked packages in funtoo in your other thread.

http://www.funtoo.org/Compare_Forked_Packages_To_Gentoo
When updating ebuilds, we do want to look at Gentoo's most recent changes. 
Some of our ebuilds are mild variations of Gentoo's ebuilds, while others are complete rewrites. In general, 
we like to make our work as easy as possible, so we don't want to duplicate work, 
although sometimes there are exceptions where we will rewrite complex core ebuilds to make them more maintainable and easy to understand 
(our sys-devel/gcc ebuilds are an example of this.) 

What this means, funtoo ripped the guts out of gcc and re-wrote it to make sense.

So the version number of gcc comparing funtoo to gentoo really does not count.

There are several times that funtoo does go ahead of gentoo and grab something from upstream, have it before gentoo.