Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

mdadm disappears - emerge surprises

digifuzzy

Question

Well that was disconcerting...

I just finished an emerge on my file server and followed it up with a reboot.

Strange, I couldn't find my raid device!?!?!?!

I did an mdadm -D devicename only to be told that mdadm as command was not recognized.

????? o_O

Sure enough, sys-fs/mdadm had disappeared from my system. But I didn't remove that ebuild...

Re-emerged, etc-update, rc-update, rc-service and remount...back to normal.

Its these surprises with emerge that are starting to wear on me.

11 answers to this question

Have you searched the contents of /var/log/emerge.log? That could assist you in determining when mdadm was unmerged.

Okay...I think I found it. Embarassingly, it was probably my own foolishness. The package was unmerged about three weeks ago when I was trying to clean up. I had mistakenly used the "--with-bdeps" flag in previous emerges. When I went to use "emerge --depclean --with-bdeps=n" to clean up, it pulled out a number of packages including mdadm. I had though I had corrected this issue by re-emerging a few packages, but missed mdadm. The removal wasn't discovered until after a restart.

app-portage/genlop is another good tool to have installed to investigate updates/installs/removals of ebuilds.

I'll look into this. THX.

So - thanks for the help with my own foolishness everyone.

Props to Tassie_Tux for the lead/info.

Kind of shocking to emerge/reboot and not be able to find drive space. This shouldn't happen. Installed functionality shouldn't "normally" disappear.

For the record:

- smartd doesn't report drive errors with device storing /.

- was root when I went to check mdadm

Other than what I have posted in the forums/bugs in the past, not really. I just fixed and moved on as I was more worried about my system than diagnosing a possible portage/emerge issue. Sorry.

Had to rant a little. My bad :(

I wasn't attentive enough during my emerging process to see what was being updated and/or removed. So reporting it "after the fact" without details doesn't help. The whole situation was just disturbing.

Have you searched the contents of /var/log/emerge.log? That could assist you in determining when mdadm was unmerged.