Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

uudruid74

Question

6 answers to this question

Actually C++.  Interesting that its slower!  I would expect the opposite - python isn't known for speed.  As for his claims on readability of the code, I'm not a huge python fan, but I have nothing against it.  C++ I really don't like.  And reading through the site, I kind of got the impression that the developer was another LP-type, a bit too full of himself it seemed.  Thanks for the verification on this.  That makes a bigger difference over a script running faster or slower by a few seconds, especially when the compile itself will be taking up the largest percentage of the time rather than the package manager.

I'd put in my 2 cents, but I haven't any experience with Paludis or Exherbo. I admit I've been curious about Exherbo, but I got the impression that it was a very small project, and I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon of a project that might die off. For similar reasons, I didn't spend much time looking into distros like Lunar, Sorcerer, or Source Mage. I did use Slackware for a while several years ago, but it was just a bit too cumbersome for me. Still, I think it's a good distro in some respects. One of these days, I do want to try doing Linux from Scratch. I guess because I see that as going "all the way" with do-it-yourself Linux. I ended up choosing Funtoo about 4 maybe 5 years ago now because I'd been running a Portage-based Sabayon system for a couple of years and was happy with it but wanted to go a step further. Yet Gentoo seemed like it was kind of stuck in a rut. Funtoo, on the other hand, was like Gentoo yet seemed like it was going somewhere - like it had a bright future ahead of it. So I went with Funtoo and have been happy with that decision. About a decade ago, I disto-hopped a lot and tried all the major distros and quite a few minor ones. I stuck with Kubuntu for a long time, but Canonical started making changes I didn't like, so I moved on. At this point, I've been using Funtoo almost half as long as I've been using Linux of any flavor.

.....One of these days, I do want to try doing Linux from Scratch. I guess because I see that as going "all the way" with do-it-yourself Linux.

You might want to try Cross Linux From Scratch.  It actually is very well designed and documented, easy to follow and shows how to really build a system from scratch.  The team behind it seem to be top shelf engineers.   Then there's Cross Linux From Scratch Embedded, using the musl c-library in place of the behemoth glibc.  Also a good project and very educational. (yeah, I'm laughing).

I've settled in with Funtoo too.

Also gave Exherbo a skip.  Never could find a reason to dabble there.

Musl on the other hand, I've heard of and it looks promising.  There are people using it on Gentoo, but it looks like the support is pretty preliminary.  I would actually like to see it get better support for bloat-reduction.  Linux is getting FAT instead of FAST.