Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

ERROR: Binary /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link or some of its library dependencies could not be copied

paddymac

Question

I'm trying to set up an initramfs in order to get Plymouth working, but it complains about a missing systemd file even though I don't use systemd. As I understand it, genkernel-next shouldn't require systemd to work.

whitegiant linux-3.17.2-gentoo # genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.17.2-gentoo/.config --plymouth-theme=solar initramfs

* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 58

* Running with options: --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.17.2-gentoo/.config --plymouth-theme=solar initramfs

* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf

* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/config.sh ..

* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/modules_load ..

* Linux Kernel 3.17.2-gentoo for x86...

* .. with config file /usr/src/linux-3.17.2-gentoo/.config

* busybox: >> Using cache

* initramfs: >> Initializing...

*         >> Appending base_layout cpio data...

*         >> Appending udev cpio data...

cp: cannot stat ?/lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.rules?: No such file or directory

* cannot copy /lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.rules from udev

cp: cannot stat ?/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link?: No such file or directory

* cannot copy /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link from udev

*         >> Appending auxilary cpio data...

*         >> Copying keymaps

*         >> Appending busybox cpio data...

*         >> Appending modules cpio data...

*         >> Appending blkid cpio data...

*         >> Appending plymouth cpio data...

*   >> Installing plymouth [ using the solar theme and plugin: "space-flares" ]...

cpio: libc.so.6: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

cpio: libdl.so.2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

cpio: libm.so.6: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

cpio: librt.so.1: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

cpio: libudev.so.1: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

cpio: libz.so.1: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

* ERROR: Binary /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link or some of its library dependencies could not be copied

* -- Grepping log... --

* Running with options: --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.17.2-gentoo/.config --plymouth-theme=solar initramfs

* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf

* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/config.sh ..

* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/modules_load ..

* ERROR: Binary /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link or some of its library dependencies could not be copied

* -- End log... --

* Please consult /var/log/genkernel.log for more information and any

* errors that were reported above.

* Report any genkernel bugs to bugs.gentoo.org and

* assign your bug to genkernel@gentoo.org. Please include

* as much information as you can in your bug report; attaching

* /var/log/genkernel.log so that your issue can be dealt with effectively.

* Please do *not* report compilation failures as genkernel bugs!

3 answers to this question

That's right. The regular, stable (and working) genkernel doesn't support Plymouth. Actually I'd rather use splashutils than Plymouth, but splashutils is broken and no one seems interested in fixing it. Dracut will build an initramfs, but when I boot, I don't get a splash screen; I get a black screen with three little squares in the center with question marks inside the squares during boot. I haven't tried using better-initramfs yet.

I'm using plymouth with vanilla kernel.  I've been using it for years and I can tell you, it's always an adventure to set up.  And every new upgrade is a toss up, will it work or not?  I see the latest upgrade which failed miserably for me months ago is no longer in the tree.

I've seen that 3 squares thing before, but don't recall what it was about.  Probably though a framebuffer thing I'm pretty sure.  Currently on nvidia here I use VESA vga framebuffer because I'm using an older kernel for other reasons.  Prior though I used the newer simplefb framebuffer and that worked also.

I can't comment on the systemd issue except to say it doesn't try to do that here.

Wish I had more to give you.

Well I do have this on my kernel command line: video=uvesafb:1440x900-32,mtrr:3, I forget the details how I came to that and don't know if something like that applies to you