Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

www-client/chromium install - virtualbox - slot conflict - sys-libs/zlib

rspartz

Question

Greetings to all  - 

Attempting to install Chromium, using VirtualBox with funtoo as the guest. This is a fresh install and I'm getting this:

[ebuild  N     ] www-client/chromium-39.0.2171.27  USE="gnome gnome-keyring (pic) pulseaudio tcmalloc -bindist -cups -custom-cflags -kerberos (-neon) (-selinux) {-test}" LINGUAS="am ar bg bn ca cs da de el en_GB es es_LA et fa fi fil fr gu he hi hr hu id it ja kn ko lt lv ml mr ms nb nl pl pt_BR pt_PT ro ru sk sl sr sv sw ta te th tr uk vi zh_CN zh_TW" 189,818 kB

Total: 14 packages (13 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 198,285 kB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-libs/zlib:0

(sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1:0/0=[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (media-libs/lcms-2.6::gentoo, installed)
    sys-libs/zlib:0/0=[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (sys-apps/file-5.20-r1000::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1:0/0=[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (media-libs/tiff-4.0.3-r6::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1:0/0=[abi_x86_64(-)] required by (media-libs/libpng-1.6.13::gentoo, installed)

I guess I just don't have enough experience to figure out the slot conflict - or - does it have to do with ABI and the zlib?  In either case I could use a finger pointing in the right direction ...

Thank you!

7 answers to this question

Hmm, well since it's all centered around zlib, what often works with blocks, etc. is to remove the item and let it reinstall with all else.  You can use quickpkg to store the binaries for quick easy reinstall if necessary.  A guess, worth a try.

quickpkg zlib
emerge --unmerge zlib
emerge chromium

Appreciate the 2 cents ....  I was being influenced by the Funtoo wiki which was showing pros/cons of which to choose:

http://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Linux_Web_Browsers#Chromium

right now it *is* compiling. I did what 'sputnik' suggested and that got it going but it didn't really take off compiling until I did a re-emerge of  python 2.7. I know it will take awhile, but I'll definitely come back here with the post-mortem for this thread.

I also agree that the google-binary works well as I've used it on other distros in the past. I just wanted to have it 'work' on Funtoo, in a VM, since I think Funtoo is the best and I Just keep coming back to it ...

brb ..

While the reasoning is sound enough, I must disagree about emerge -1 zlib being the same.  This is one of those cases where in theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice they are different...

Not that uncommon, when you see blocks you can get past it with the cheat I mentioned above.  This is with NO use changes, just simply pulling it out and letting it reemerge.

That being said, I haven't tried emerge -1 in such a case, perhaps that practice is better than my theory...