Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Need help updating an ebuild

spectromas

Question

Not sure if this is the right section to post this or if I should be posting at all as I am asking about something outside of funtoo's tree but it's worth a try. There is an ebuild in the pro-audio overlay for media-sound/radium that I want to install but it is quite out of date now (about 20 revisions) and I would like to install the latest version as there have been lots of changes added. 

The problem is that this is a bit beyond my ebuild skills. I know Pd-extended (another program I cannot install due to the ebuild not working) was added to it so it needs dev-lang/tk at least. The old ebuild also asks for qt3-support, I don't know if that is necessary any more and I can't tell from the requirements on the source page.

So would anyone be able to help me with this? I expect it is largely the same but with a few additions and maybe qt stuff changed.

# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=2

PYTHON_DEPEND="2:2.7"
inherit eutils multilib python

RESTRICT="mirror"
DESCRIPTION="Open source music editor with a novel interface and fever limitations than trackers"
HOMEPAGE="http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/${PN}/"
SRC_URI="http://archive.notam02.no/arkiv/src/${P}.tar.gz"

KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"
SLOT="0"
IUSE="+calf debug"
LICENSE="GPL-2"

DEPEND="dev-qt/qtcore[qt3support]
    x11-libs/libXaw
    media-libs/alsa-lib
    media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit
    media-libs/libsamplerate
    media-libs/liblrdf
    media-libs/libsndfile
    media-libs/ladspa-sdk
    >=dev-libs/glib-2.0"
# repoman doesn't like this:
# RDEPEND="${DEPEND}
#    calf? ( <media-plugins/calf-0.0.19[ladspa] )"
# somebody knows?
if use calf; then
    RDEPEND="${DEPEND}
#    <media-plugins/calf-0.0.19[ladspa]"
else
    RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"
fi

pkg_setup() {
    python_set_active_version 2
    python_pkg_setup
}

#src_prepare() {
#    sed -i -e 's:DUSE_VESTIGE=0:DUSE_VESTIGE=1:' "${S}/Makefile.Qt" || die "sed failed"
#}

src_compile() {
    if use debug; then
        BUILDT=DEBUG
    else
        BUILDT=RELEASE
    fi
    emake DESTDIR="${D}" PREFIX="/usr" libdir="/usr/$(get_libdir)" \
        OPTIMIZE="${CXXFLAGS}" packages || die "make packages failed"
    BUILDTYPE="${BUILDT}" ./build_linux.sh -j7 || die "Build failed"
}

src_install() {
    emake libdir="/usr/$(get_libdir)" DESTDIR="${D}" PREFIX="/usr" install \
        || die "install failed"
    insinto /usr/share/pixmaps
    doins "${FILESDIR}/radium.xpm"
    make_desktop_entry radium Radium "radium" "AudioVideo;Audio;AudioVideoEditing;"
}

17 answers to this question

The problem is we could be "what ifing" all day.  Better to just do itTM and post any error messages.

Probably you've already checked out the variables http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/

This line

SRC_URI="http://archive.notam02.no/arkiv/src/${P}.tar.gz"

is the pointer to the version, using the name of the ebuild to define ${P}.  So if you make an ebuild in your local repository named after the version you want, that's the one it will go fetch.

After creating this custom ebuild in your local repository any patch files will also need to be in that directory.  Often you can get away with just creating a link to the patches "file" dir in the official Funtoo repository, if not just copy the files dir there.

Do ebuild <name & version>.ebuild manifest and give it a shot.

I can do all those parts but it's understanding what the package needs as dependencies that I don't know how to do. I looked at the list it provides on the website but a lot of them don't seem to be in the funtoo tree, or at least not as they are named. 

I tried changing the version number, adding the tk dependency, and making sure the link to the source is correct (and it is, portage downloaded it) but it wants me to do this: 

# required by dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5# required by dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5
# required by dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3[qt3support]
# required by media-libs/suil-0.8.0[qt4]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2:4 qt3support
# required by dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5
# required by dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3[qt3support]
# required by dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2[qt3support]
# required by media-sound/radium-1.9.43::funtoo-studio
# required by radium (argument)
>=dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5:4 qt3support
# required by dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2[qt3support]
# required by media-sound/radium-1.9.43::funtoo-studio
# required by radium (argument)
>=dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3:4 -accessibility qt3support

This then leads to this when trying to emerge: 

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/tcl-8.6.1-r1:0/8.6  USE="threads -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2:4  USE="exceptions glib iconv icu qt3support* ssl (-aqua) -debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3:4  USE="exceptions glib gtkstyle qt3support* tiff xv -accessibility* (-aqua) -cups -debug -egl -mng -nas -nis -pch -trace -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5:4  USE="exceptions qt3support sqlite (-aqua) -debug (-firebird) -freetds -mysql -oci8 -odbc -pch -postgres" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5:4  USE="exceptions -accessibility (-aqua) -debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/tk-8.6.1-r1:0/8.6  USE="threads truetype (-aqua) -debug {-test} -xscreensaver" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-sound/radium-1.9.43::funtoo-studio  USE="calf -debug" 0 kB

Total: 7 packages (5 new, 2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-qt/qtcore:4

(dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,qt3support] required by (dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    dev-qt/qtcore[qt3support] required by (media-sound/radium-1.9.43::funtoo-studio, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,glib=,qt3support=] required by (dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,qt3support=] required by (dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,qt3support=] required by (dev-qt/qtopengl-4.8.5::gentoo, installed)
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,glib=,qt3support=] required by (dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3::gentoo, installed)

dev-qt/qtgui:4

(dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,egl=,qt3support=] required by (dev-qt/qtopengl-4.8.5::gentoo, installed)
    ~dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5[accessibility=,aqua=,debug=] required by (dev-qt/qtsvg-4.8.5::gentoo, installed)

(dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5[accessibility=,aqua=,debug=,qt3support] required by (dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ~dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5[aqua=,debug=,glib=,qt3support] required by (dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

This is why I was hoping that someone could look at the qt stuff in the build because the qt3-support really creates a mess. 

That's the kind of info needed you see.

I would try this first.  If you don't have FEATURES="buildpkg..." in your /etc/portage/make.conf file, use quickpkg to build binaries of qtgui and qtcore, so that you can quickly & easily reinstall them if need be.

Then emerge --unmerge qtgui qtcore.  Remove them.

Then emerge radium.  They should get reinstalled just fine.  Else nothing lost but a few minutes effort.  emerge -K qtgui qtcore and everything's back the way it was if it fails.

Edit: you can probably do emerge -avK radium, that way just the binaries of those two will quickly install.

2nd edit: Whoops.  Meant emerge -avk radium

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instructions and they did indeed install without any issue so that problem is solved!

However there was a problem with the build of radium itself and it looks like it is to do with pure data (Pd) as far as I can see, I've had lots of problems before trying to build that from its own overlay. Here's the build log, I see a lot of warnings so I'm not sure where it starts to go wrong - http://sprunge.us/OXFf

It appears it can't find speex.h:

externals/unauthorized/speexout~.c:69:56: fatal error: speex/speex.h: No such file or directory
#include <speex/speex.h> /* speex codec stuff */

^

compilation terminated.

I have that header file here in /usr/include/speex, it was installed by media-libs/speex.  Perhaps you need to install that?

That seems to make it get further but I've hit another problem: 

audio/VST_plugins.cpp:49:2: warning: #warning  [-Wcpp] #warning
  ^
gcc -mfpmath=sse  api/radium_wrap.c -c `cat buildtype.opt` -DNOPAUSEPLAY -DCOMPILING_RADIUM -Ibin/packages/gc-7.2/include -IQt/ -I/usr/include/python2.7 -DGUIISQT -Imidi/rtmidi -DUSE_GFX_OP_QUEUE -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -Werror=array-bounds -msse -DFOR_LINUX -DWITH_PD  -Wno-unused-function -DUSE_QT_VISUAL=1 -DUSE_GTK_VISUAL=0 -DUSE_QT_REQTYPE=1 -DUSE_GTK_REQTYPE=0 -DUSE_QT_MENU=1 -DUSE_GTK_MENU=0 -DUSE_VESTIGE=1 -DFULL_VERSION=1 -DIS_LITTLE_ENDIAN=1 -w
gcc -mfpmath=sse api/wrapfunclist.c -c `cat buildtype.opt` -DNOPAUSEPLAY -DCOMPILING_RADIUM -Ibin/packages/gc-7.2/include -IQt/ -I/usr/include/python2.7 -DGUIISQT -Imidi/rtmidi -DUSE_GFX_OP_QUEUE -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -Werror=array-bounds -msse -DFOR_LINUX -DWITH_PD  -Wno-unused-function -DUSE_QT_VISUAL=1 -DUSE_GTK_VISUAL=0 -DUSE_QT_REQTYPE=1 -DUSE_GTK_REQTYPE=0 -DUSE_QT_MENU=1 -DUSE_GTK_MENU=0 -DUSE_VESTIGE=1 -DFULL_VERSION=1 -DIS_LITTLE_ENDIAN=1
cd Qt/ && ./create_source_from_ui.sh uic moc pd_plugin_widget
g++ -mfpmath=sse Qt/Qt_instruments.cpp -c `cat buildtype.opt` -DNOPAUSEPLAY -DCOMPILING_RADIUM -Ibin/packages/gc-7.2/include -IQt/ -I/usr/include/python2.7 -DGUIISQT -Imidi/rtmidi -DUSE_GFX_OP_QUEUE -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -Werror=array-bounds -msse -DFOR_LINUX -DWITH_PD  -Wno-unused-function -DUSE_QT_VISUAL=1 -DUSE_GTK_VISUAL=0 -DUSE_QT_REQTYPE=1 -DUSE_GTK_REQTYPE=0 -DUSE_QT_MENU=1 -DUSE_GTK_MENU=0 -DUSE_VESTIGE=1 -DFULL_VERSION=1 -DIS_LITTLE_ENDIAN=1 -DUSE_QT4 -DUSE_QIMAGE_BUFFER=1 -DQT3_SUPPORT -I/usr/include/qt4/Qt3Support -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore    -DQT_NO_OPENGL 
g++ windows.o window_config.o list.o vector.o hashmap.o song.o blocks.o block_insert.o block_split.o block_delete.o block_properties.o tracks.o localzooms.o control.o lines.o font.o track_insert.o track_onoff.o settings.o mmd2load.o notes.o notes_legalize.o pitches.o wblocks.o wtracks.o sliders.o gfx_wblocks.o gfx_wblocks_reltempo.o gfx_statusbar.o gfx_tempotrackheader.o gfx_upperleft.o common.o gfx_wtracks.o gfx_wtrackborder.o gfx_wtext.o gfx_text.o gfx_lines.o gfx_point.o gfx_op_queue.o eventreciever.o reallines.o notestext.o trackreallines.o clipboard_range.o clipboard_range_calc.o clipboard_range_copy.o clipboard_range_paste.o clipboard_range_cut.o transpose.o backwards.o invert.o glissando.o pitchexpand.o clipboard_track_copy.o clipboard_track_paste.o clipboard_track_cut.o clipboard_tempos_copy.o clipboard_localzooms.o clipboard_block_copy.o clipboard_block_paste.o quantitize.o mouse.o mouse_wtrack.o mouse_wtrackheader.o mouse_tempoheader.o mouse_wtrackborder.o mouse_temponodeborder.o mouse_fxarea.o mouse_pitches.o mouse_vellinenode.o mouse_vellineend.o mouse_vellinestart.o mouse_fxnode.o mouse_quantitize.o mouse_reltemposlider.o tbox.o area.o range.o debug.o memory.o placement.o t_gc.o cursor.o cursor_updown.o subtrack.o velocities.o pixmap.o scroll.o blts.o realline_calc.o gfx_subtrack.o LPB.o gfx_wtrackheaders.o gfx_wtrackheader_volpan.o gfx_slider.o reallines_insert.o gfx_shrink.o gfx_shrink_t.o gfx_request.o nodelines.o nodeboxes.o instruments.o patch.o fxlines.o fxlines_legalize.o pitchnodes.o blocklist.o  scroll_play.o gfx_tempocolor.o crashreporter.o crashreporter_posix.o crashreporter_windows.o reltempo.o temponodes.o tempos.o time.o time2place.o mouse_temponodes.o temponodes_legalize.o Ptask2Mtask.o player.o scheduler.o PEQrealline.o PEQmempool.o PEQblock.o PEQnotes.o PEQcommon.o playerclass.o player_startstop.o PEQvelocities.o PEQpitches.o PEQ_calc.o PEQfxs.o player_pause.o PEQ_type.o PEQ_calc_64bit.o PEQ_clock.o disk.o disk_fxs.o disk_wblock.o disk_localzooms.o disk_track.o disk_fx.o disk_fxnodelines.o disk_wtrack.o disk_temponodes.o disk_tempos.o disk_song.o disk_velocities.o disk_block.o disk_placement.o disk_stops.o disk_playlist.o disk_root.o disk_notes.o disk_lpbs.o disk_windows.o disk_warea.o disk_save.o disk_load.o disk_instrument.o disk_patches.o disk_slider.o undo.o undo_notes.o undo_fxs.o undo_temponodes.o undo_tempos.o undo_lpbs.o undo_notesandfxs.o undo_reallines.o undo_tracks.o undo_range.o undo_blocks.o undo_trackheader.o undo_reltempomax.o undo_maintempos.o undo_block_insertdelete.o undo_block_mergesplit.o undo_reltemposlider.o undo_playlist.o undo_patch.o undo_patchvoice.o undo_patchname.o undo_chip_position.o Qt_visual.o GTK_visual.o Qt_Main.o Qt_endprogram.o Qt_EventReceiver.o Qt_colors.o Qt_Menues.o Qt_Fonts.o Qt_ReqType.o Qt_PopupMenu.o qcolordialog.o Qt_Bs_edit.o Qt_instruments.o Qt_PluginWidget.o Qt_MyQSlider.o Qt_SliderPainter.o Qt_memory.o Qt_path_resolver.o Qt_settings.o Qt_MainWindow.o GTK_ReqType.o GTK_PopupMenu.o Qt_soundfilesaver_widget_callbacks.o Qt_comment_dialog_callbacks.o Qt_Semaphores.o radium_wrap.o api_common.o api_keyplay.o api_keyplayedit.o api_navigate.o api_noteedit.o api_support.o ad_noteadd.o wrapfunclist.o api_trackonoff.o api_zoom.o api_notemanipulate.o api_play.o api_clipboard.o api_undo.o api_various.o api_instruments.o api_requesters.o posix_settings.o posix_Player.o  X11_keyboard.o X11_error.o X11_disk.o X11_Qtstuff.o   disk_midi_fx.o disk_midi_i_plugin.o midi_fx.o midi_i_plugin.o midi_playfromstart.o midi_rtmidi.o RtMidi.o midi_i_input.o midi_menues.o zita_rev.o stk_flute.o stk_bowed.o stk_blow_bottle.o stk_bass.o stk_blow_hole.o stk_brass.o stk_clarinet.o stk_flute_stk.o stk_glass_harmonica.o stk_harpsi.o stk_modal_bar.o stk_NLF_eks.o stk_NLF_fm.o stk_piano.o stk_saxophony.o stk_sitar.o stk_tibetan_bowl.o stk_tuned_bar.o stk_uni_bar.o stk_voice_form.o faust_tapiir.o faust_system_eq.o faust_system_lowpass.o faust_system_lowshelf.o faust_system_highshelf.o faust_system_delay.o faust_multibandcomp.o audio_instrument.o SoundProducer.o Jack_plugin.o Bus_plugins.o Patchbay_plugin.o VST_plugins.o Ladspa_plugins.o Sampler_plugin.o FluidSynth_plugin.o Pd_plugin.o SoundPluginRegistry.o SoundPlugin.o Mixer.o get_windows_commandlines.o Envelope.o Resampler.o SoundFonts.o Smooth.o undo_audio_effect.o undo_pd_controllers.o undo_sample.o SoundfileSaver.o system_compressor_wrapper.o QM_view.o QM_chip.o QM_MixerWidget.o undo_mixer.o undo_mixer_connections.o undo_chip_addremove.o -o bin/radium -g -lm -lQt3Support -lQtNetwork -lQtSql -lQtOpenGL -lQtGui -L/usr/lib64/qt4 -lQtCore    -lpthread -lasound -ljack -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -llrdf -pthread -lrt -lX11 bin/packages/gc-7.2/.libs/libgc.a -L/usr/lib -lpython2.7 bin/packages/libgig/src/.libs/libgig.a bin/packages/fluidsynth-1.1.6/src/.libs/libfluidsynth.a -lsndfile   -lsamplerate   -lglib-2.0   -Wl,-Bstatic -lbfd -Wl,-Bdynamic -lz -liberty -ldl bin/packages/libpd-master/libs/libpds.a 
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.2/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lbfd
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:333: recipe for target 'bin/radium' failed
make: *** [bin/radium] Error 1
 * ERROR: media-sound/radium-1.9.43 failed (compile phase):
 *   Build failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  93:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 5126:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       BUILDTYPE="${BUILDT}" ./build_linux.sh -j7 || die "Build failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-sound/radium-1.9.43'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-sound/radium-1.9.43'`.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay named 'funtoo-studio': '/usr/local/portage/'
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/work/radium-1.9.43'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/work/radium-1.9.43'

>>> Failed to emerge media-sound/radium-1.9.43, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package media-sound/radium-1.9.43:

* ERROR: media-sound/radium-1.9.43 failed (compile phase):
 *   Build failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  93:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 5126:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       BUILDTYPE="${BUILDT}" ./build_linux.sh -j7 || die "Build failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-sound/radium-1.9.43'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-sound/radium-1.9.43'`.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay named 'funtoo-studio': '/usr/local/portage/'
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/work/radium-1.9.43'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/work/radium-1.9.43'
 * The following package has failed to build or install:
 *  (media-sound/radium-1.9.43::funtoo-studio, ebuild scheduled for merge), Log file:
 *   '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/radium-1.9.43/temp/build.log'

I can see it's  -lbfd that it can't find but I cannot find any information about this, it seems to be part of binutils, which I have. I notice that the source page says 'binutils-devel' is needed, would it be a USE flag for that that's missing? I have:  cxx nls zlib -multislot -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla

No, not a use flag.

Debian, Ubuntu, etc., they have the -devel versions because they are behind, usually in a leading edge distro like Funtoo we *HAVE* what they call the -devel version.  In current x86_64 it's 2.23.2, one step back from the very latest, 2.24.  So that's not it.  Besides, it's looking for libbfd, which has been in binutils for a few years at least.  It's just not finding it.

You should have it here: /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2/libbfd.so

So you may have to get fancy.  In the radium tarball, like most open-source packages, you'll find files like INSTALL and README in the root dir.  You may have to look in there where it will tell you how to point the install to certain key directories, it'll be something like CXXFLAGS="/usr/lib" emerge radium (example, not for use).  You can put this kind of thing in package.env and env, so 3 months from now when you've forgotten all about it it will happen automatically.

That's the best I've got for now, will take another look tomorrow.  Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can chime in.

Oh, BTW, it's looking in /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld, which is a pointer link (here) to: /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/binutils-bin/2.23.2/ld.  There my comprehension of the issue gets hazy, gotta brush up on that ld stuff someday.

I dl'ed the radium source you're using.  Weak documentation.  However, by deduction I believe it's looking for libbfd.so in /usr/lib.  It's tacky, but you should be able to make a link like so:

ln -s /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2/libbfd.so /usr/lib/libbfd.so (or /usr/lib64/libbfd.so  if you prefer)

In the supplied README it talks about installing on Ubuntu 12.  Check this out:http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/binutils-dev/filelist

So that's where Ubuntu's putting it.  Worth a try, I'm pretty sure it will work.

A patch would be better, but grep -R libbfd didn't give a clue, don't think it specifically looks for libbfd.so, probably looking for all libraries to be in /usr/lib.

I created that link but for some reason it's still giving the same error. I posted on the github page for radium and received a response to try this instead: 

ln -s /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2/libbfd.so /usr/lib64/libbfd.so

That didn't make any difference either though. I'm not sure what else to try, it seems to be an issue with the actual program though :(

There are two subdirs in that /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2 directory, include and ldscripts.  Judging by their contents it looks like maybe libbfd uses them.  I've checked and there's nothing with a conflicting name in /usr/lib.  So you might try linking to those as well:

ln -s /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2/include /usr/lib/include
ln -s /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.23.2/ldscripts /usr/lib/ldscripts

VERY tacky, but you can remove those links once it gets installed.  Then you just gotta make a note to yourself the steps involved if you ever want to reinstall/upgrade radium.

If that doesn't work, about out of ideas here.  Best bet is try filing an issue there at Github, sounds like maybe you already did that.

I still get the same error unfortunately. I really appreciate your help with this, you certainly got me further than I was so that in itself was a great help. I will pursue this as an issue on the github page because it does look like something that should be looked at there. 

Thanks again. 

I'll take a look at it this evening. Also, perhaps you should contact the pro-audio overlay maintainer and request he update the ebuild. The pro-audio overlay is very large, and I know from managing my own overlay that it can be hard to keep track of a large number of programs to keep everything up-to-date. Just run "layman -i pro-audio" for his contact info. Or you could file a bug on the Gentoo bugzilla and they could assign it to the overlay maintainer.

Well, I went to the source: http://svn.tuxfamily.org/viewvc.cgi/proaudio_proaudio/trunk/overlays/proaudio/ Apparently the last update to the overlay was 4 weeks ago. That's pretty recent, so yes it is still being maintained.

Anyway, I started working on an updated ebuild this evening. It shouldn't be too difficult, but personally I think the Makefile and shell scripts are a mess, so I think the most work is going to be editing the Makefile and making a suitable patch. Just for example, changing CCC to CXX, changing LINKER to LD, and a few other changes to make it play nicer with Portage and its environment variables. I also plan to make it configurable whether it's compiled with GTK2 or QT4 since both appear to be supported.

Well that's good news that it is still active. 

If you want to update this ebuild just for my sake then don't worry about it, I only wanted to try it out after having difficulties installing in other distros as well before I came to funtoo but it's not something terribly important. However, if you do fix it I would certainly be interested in it.