funtoo-stable is going away

- - - - -

24 replies to this topic

Oleg Vinichenko

Oleg Vinichenko

Staff

• Moderators
  • 376 posts

not necessarily, default branch could also contain ebuilds with stable and unstable ebuilds. by deviating into master (or other) branch unstable ebuilds will prevail, i believe.

www.funtoo.org

dkg

dkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

not necessarily, default branch could also contain ebuilds with stable and unstable ebuilds. by deviating into master (or other) branch unstable ebuilds will prevail, i believe.

Ah, so there could be more than one branch available for a given kit.  I wasn't sure about that.

Oleg Vinichenko

Oleg Vinichenko

Staff

• Moderators
  • 376 posts

and from my own experience, i have never used stable builds anywhere and there was no really major problems (like disastrous ones), maybe 2-3 only in last 10 years. so, a key is - when you know what to do with stable or unstable - you could expect things to work. if you don't know what to do, likely you'll trap into troubles regardless stable or unstable used. Sometimes updates can be frustrating, i agree. And for newcomers, of course, it's hard as they mostly driven by existing documentation, web, irc -which can be really wrong. The "stable" is what is controlled by matter of letter, in ebuilds, i can put "amd64" instead "~amd64" and it will be considered stable by package manager, which is of course far from real definition of stable. For example, back into not so old case (about 4 monthes), xorg-server-1.19 stabilized by gentoo, due to multiple security vulnerabilities in xorg itself and in it's core parts. xorg-1.19, in turn, found to be very unstable in certain conditions, so the security fixes diminished by the fact you have no working xorg. Those security fixes can be easily, and they are in Funtoo, backported into good known 1.17 version. of course, if 1.19 were ok for the one, he could choose using 1.19. Just trying to describe that stabilization and stable by means of packages, is a volatile term.

• NikosAlexandris and McQ like this
www.funtoo.org

dkg

dkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Understood.  As I tried to explain before, I've had very few software stability issues on funtoo, whether -stable or -current.  I'm not concerned about that part. :)  I'm just anxious about diving in without a better understanding how kits work.  Thanks.

NikosAlexandris

NikosAlexandris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

and from my own experience, i have never used stable builds anywhere and there was no really major problems (like disastrous ones), maybe 2-3 only in last 10 years. so, a key is - when you know what to do with stable or unstable - you could expect things to work. if you don't know what to do, likely you'll trap into troubles regardless stable or unstable used. Sometimes updates can be frustrating, i agree. And for newcomers, of course, it's hard as they mostly driven by existing documentation, web, irc -which can be really wrong. The "stable" is what is controlled by matter of letter, in ebuilds, i can put "amd64" instead "~amd64" and it will be considered stable by package manager, which is of course far from real definition of stable. For example, back into not so old case (about 4 monthes), xorg-server-1.19 stabilized by gentoo, due to multiple security vulnerabilities in xorg itself and in it's core parts. xorg-1.19, in turn, found to be very unstable in certain conditions, so the security fixes diminished by the fact you have no working xorg. Those security fixes can be easily, and they are in Funtoo, backported into good known 1.17 version. of course, if 1.19 were ok for the one, he could choose using 1.19. Just trying to describe that stabilization and stable by means of packages, is a volatile term.

Dear Oleg, thank for this commentary. The essence, I see, is to understand what and how to do.  As you put it "when you know what to do with stable or unstable - you could expect things to work. if you don't know what to do, likely you'll trap into troubles regardless stable or unstable used."  This is something that comes in time.

Nikos Alexandris | Remote Sensing *
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users