Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Is Funtoo ready for AMD Ryzen CPUs?

it is somehow ready.

yes, for specific ryzen optimization, you need gcc-6. kernel-4.9 supports zen cpu's already as of 4.9.18 (that's the default kernel in debian unstable and is what funtoo using by default) both debian-sources-4.9.18 and gcc-6.3 already available in portage tree  but masked. debian-sources is ready for unmask, gcc-6.3 still needs more tests.

• 4 weeks later...

What cpu do you have?

1x i5-4690 and 1x i7-4770K.

If you are refering to my post, I meant I would be willing to donate to Funtoo so they could have a Ryzen system.  Maybe we should start a gofundme drive to get Oleg and Daniel Ryzen systems.

Latest Gentoo-sources (remember to make "euse -E experimental sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" then go to "Cputypes and features" ... select the "native".

(4.11.0) ~4.11.0^bs

You can have more than one version of GCC _'_ (in this case pay attention about "emerge -cp" .... cause both version or more will not be removed from Your system ) :D

You can try to compile with GCC-6.3.0 and if necessary You can use a previous version of GCC when the "6.30" will fail.

Funtoo is "Flexible" :P

I prefer the "-march=native".

So:

# epro subarch native_64

:P

to take a look about "passed *flags by GCC ... you can use in a terminal

echo 'int main(){return 0;}' > test.c && gcc -v -Q -march=native -O2 test.c -o test && rm test.c test

vs (in another terminal)

echo 'int main(){return 0;}' > test.c && gcc -v -Q -march=`cpu_that you've` -O2 test.c -o test && rm test.c test

Take a look if there are differencies or not :)