Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo not systemd-free on Distrowatch

nrc

I just found that there's a link to find distros without systemd on Distrowatch.  I checked it out, curious to see where Funtoo would fall in the list.

Surprisingly it wasn't listed at all.  Looking at Funtoo's entry, I see that's because they have Funtoo listed as including systemd version 232.  Obviously they're just pulling the package list and systemd is there via Gentoo even though it's masked.

That's unfortunate.  If distrowatch provided a link I have to think that they've seen an interest.  Given the way the information is gathered I don't have any bright ideas on how to get it included.  It would seem appropriate to at least mention in the description that Funtoo is systemd-free.

Hi nrc,

what about an email? Just a short message to distrowatch.com that funtoo is systemd-free by default...

Funtoo is listed at without-systemd.org, so the folks at distrowatch could check this easily.

:)

I don't think it's as simple as that.  It's not a list that they manually create, it's a database query that returns distros that don't include systemd based information that they've gathered.  I assume that this is all an automated process.

• 5 months later...

I don't think it's as simple as that.  It's not a list that they manually create, it's a database query that returns distros that don't include systemd based information that they've gathered.  I assume that this is all an automated process.

I have encountered numbers of details in random lists (particularly the ones stating versions of kernel, gnome version and so on) on their list.

Distrowatch is great but "don't trust it to 100 percent" 

Most of the time its correct and up to date, but there are some wrong info here and there, just as stated above my post, it's not some guy typing it all in manually :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Funtoo does now appear on their canned "without systemd" search.   They've added a specific field for init system software and "not systemd" is an option that you can select.

This is good to see.  It suggests that this is something people are looking for in selecting a distro.