Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Problem in Playonlinux after updating

adcdam

Question

i have a problem when using Playonlinux it happened after updating, i get this on the debug of Playonlinux:

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than or equal to 2.0.5. http://www.freetype.org

is there a patch a symlink or something to fix this?

i dont know if the problem is fontconfig, or freetype or glibc.

i have both 64 and 32 bit libs of freetype installed
if i type: find /usr/lib{32,64} -name "libfreetype*"
i get

/usr/lib32/libfreetype.so
/usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6
/usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6.12.5
/usr/lib64/libfreetype.so
/usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6
/usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6.12.5

anyone?

3 answers to this question

I really think after 6 years in linux im back to Windows, i ask about this problem here, in the wine forum, in the playonlinux forum in funtoo reddit, nobody could give me an answer, i updated the system and now some games that worked now they don t because it ask for the f...ing freetype that i have already installed, 

i will go back to windows when hell freezes over, i use steam too which is great to play native games, but i also need wine, the problem i have is with playonlinux not wine, if i use system wine i dont have any problem of wine not finding freetype, but there s a good news for Gentoo/Funtoo:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine

Upcoming packaging changes

Soon, a rework of the wine package will be released for Gentoo which allows multiple installations in parallel. What this means for users is that if they have an application that only works on a particular version of wine, they can install that version along side any other version. Additionally, wine will be split into several packages. Currently, the intention is to have "wine-vanilla," "wine-staging," and "wine-d3d9" packages so that users can also use multiple patchsets in parallel. Management of the default wine installation will be handled with an eselect module.

so i will be able to install multiple versions of wine with no problems so i will have no need of Playonlinux.