Mouse problem in X

2 replies to this topic

stamasd

stamasd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS East coast

I just installed Funtoo on my new laptop. I have installed Funtoo in the past, but never on a laptop with only USB3 ports - and I think this may be related to the problem I'm having.

Installing the base system was a breeze, then I installed X. I tested it as per http://www.funtoo.org/X_Window_System; in twm the keyboard was working but the mouse pointer wouldn't move (I use a Logitech M325 mouse with USB dongle). In fact it only *apparently* wouldn't move; the pointer on the screen remained in a fixed position, but by moving the mouse I could in fact shift focus to one or the other of the xterms on the screen (even though the visible pointer wasn't over them).

I then installed xfce4, and again the mouse pointer won't move even though I can select things on screen by blindly moving the mouse.

The output of 'zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EVDEV' shows:

CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m

I did emerge xf86-input-evdev, but it didn't change the mouse behavior at all.

stamasd

stamasd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS East coast

Suspect a video driver problem after seeing people with other distributions (Ubuntu etc) reporting the same issue with the latest nvidia driver on GTX10xx cards (this laptop has a GTX1070 video card).

At a test I switched to using the nouveau driver, but the problem persists.

I see other people reporting that the only way to get rid of the problem was to switch to the Intel driver and use the built-in Intel GPU. This laptop however does not use the Intel GPU or Optimus/Bumblebee (it's an Eurocom Tornado F5, http://www.eurocom.c...384,0)TornadoF5). The only video output is from the GTX1070 card.

Looks like until the driver is fixed I'm SOL. :(

dougbmorris

dougbmorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

When my laptop was new I tried Funtoo, Gentoo,and Debian. Nothing worked. It was three months later that I could get the drivers, but I didn't know that and flailed quite a bit, all pointlessly. As I recall, I downloaded a new sys-apps/hwids and then I was able to get things to work. I also spent about 2 weeks to craft a functional xorg.conf configuration file to get X windows to work. Probably you know more than me, but I read your post.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users