Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Mouse problem in X

stamasd

Question

I just installed Funtoo on my new laptop. I have installed Funtoo in the past, but never on a laptop with only USB3 ports - and I think this may be related to the problem I'm having.

Installing the base system was a breeze, then I installed X. I tested it as per http://www.funtoo.org/X_Window_System; in twm the keyboard was working but the mouse pointer wouldn't move (I use a Logitech M325 mouse with USB dongle). In fact it only *apparently* wouldn't move; the pointer on the screen remained in a fixed position, but by moving the mouse I could in fact shift focus to one or the other of the xterms on the screen (even though the visible pointer wasn't over them).

I then installed xfce4, and again the mouse pointer won't move even though I can select things on screen by blindly moving the mouse.

The output of 'zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EVDEV' shows:

CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m

I did emerge xf86-input-evdev, but it didn't change the mouse behavior at all.

4 answers to this question

Suspect a video driver problem after seeing people with other distributions (Ubuntu etc) reporting the same issue with the latest nvidia driver on GTX10xx cards (this laptop has a GTX1070 video card).

At a test I switched to using the nouveau driver, but the problem persists.

I see other people reporting that the only way to get rid of the problem was to switch to the Intel driver and use the built-in Intel GPU. This laptop however does not use the Intel GPU or Optimus/Bumblebee (it's an Eurocom Tornado F5, http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,384,0)TornadoF5). The only video output is from the GTX1070 card.

Looks like until the driver is fixed I'm SOL. :(

When my laptop was new I tried Funtoo, Gentoo,and Debian. Nothing worked. It was three months later that I could get the drivers, but I didn't know that and flailed quite a bit, all pointlessly. As I recall, I downloaded a new sys-apps/hwids and then I was able to get things to work. I also spent about 2 weeks to craft a functional xorg.conf configuration file to get X windows to work. Probably you know more than me, but I read your post.

FWIW 3 months later this problem is not resolved yet. Neither the nvidia nor the nouveau driver allow me to use the mouse in X on this machine.

From posts that I've seen on other forums (mostly Ubuntu, but other distros also) the nouveau driver at least is broken in this way in kernels 4.8 and 4.9 - and affecting primarily the mobile versions of GTX1070 and 1080. Supposedly it was fixed in kernel 4.10.

But of course, our kernel from debian-sources is 4.8.15-1, so no joy using that. I may end up compiling a custom kernel, since there's no sign of a fix from official sources.

Okay, I've hit a bit of a snag. I've last installed a custom kernel when 2.6 was around as a new thing, and there have been many changes in between. I've tried several times, both with the vanilla 4.10.12 as well as with the 4.10.12 from sys-kernel/gentoo-sources using this as a guide: http://www.funtoo.org/Installing_Gentoo_Sources

It compiles and installs, but on reboot the kernel can't find the root partition. I have compiled support for ext2 and ext4 into the kernel, made sure the boot.conf has the right parameters (/boot is /dev/sda1 which is ext2, / is /dev/sda3 and it's ext4) but it still doesn't work. The default kernel 4.8.15-1 finds the root with the same parameters without any problem.

I think there may be something wrong with the initrd, but it's automatically generated by genkernel so I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

FWIW I use MBR.