Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to use systemd instead of openrc?

dancaer69

Hello,

I recently installed funtoo after a lot of installation problems. I forced to do about 10 reboots to actually install the core system and X because a lot of packages failed to build at first time and after the failure the disk locked and I couldn't give any command. I' ve managed to continue though and I now writing from xfce enviroment. It is the first time I installed funtoo, I've installed gentoo before about 10 years, but I used for a very short period and I'm new to the way funtoo/gentoo works.

I mentioned that the boot time is very slow compared to arch linux which I'm using the last year.

It takes about 22secs to go to login prompt in funtoo and about 6-7secs in Arch linux. I've searched a bit in google and I found that openrc is slower.

Is this right? Is there any way to make it faster, and if not how can I use systemd instead?

Answer to the question is that you don't.  From the FAQ - "Part of the distinctiveness of Funtoo Linux is its dependency-based OpenRC init system, so changing this would make it something other than Funtoo Linux. So we do not support systemd as part of Funtoo Linux."

If you want a source based distribution that supports systemd then Gentoo is probably a better choice.

Default kernel builds tend to have everything turned on to work with the widest range of hardware. Fast boot times require that you do some tuning to your kernel and services. Openrc also has the option to start services in parallel but you'll need to make sure that your service requirements don't create a deadlock.

My old Celeron 1.3Mhz laptop is to the login screen six seconds after the kernel starts loading.