Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Is debian-sources updated to support NVMe drives?

Last time, i couple of months ago, i installed Funtoo on one of my Intel NUCs, on a Samsung NVMe drive, but debian-sources lacked support for that drive. 

I tried to do a manual kernel compile, and enabled 

Device Drivers --->

<*> NVM Express block device
[*] Open-Channel SSD target support --->

but ran in to other problem, with root block device is not a root device or something similar. 

So, to save the time compiling and risking breaking stuff again i'd like to install a precompiled kernel, like debian-sources (tried gentoo-sources yesterday, and it failed) but i have always used debian-sources in earlier install (on old SSD's only though) so i wonder if debian-sources has NVMe support out of the box nowadays?

can you, please, give more details about your partitions and fstab. 

Now im on Arch Linux, but my question is not about my current setup, when installing i followed wiki for GPT/UEFI setup. So is debian-sources pre-compiled with "NVM Express block device" and "Open-Channel SSD target support" by default? Tried install Funtoo Linux march 17:th and back then it was not enabled (only M) in debian-sources.

On my current computer i have a Samsung PRO 960 1 TB 

okey, they are modules. but initramfs which is shipped with debian-sources has no support for booting from NVMe drives. i will fix this.

That will be a huge inprovement, and the NVMe drives are getting more and more common and popular. 

As soon as it's enabled by default, i'll install Funtoo right away. 

to test:

unmask =sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.15 and =sys-kernel/debian-sources-4.9.18, update both. run boot-update, make sure you use 4.9.18 in boot menu. Report back how it works on NVMe.

I will do this this weekend, when i have time. Thanks for the information

to test:

unmask =sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.15 and =sys-kernel/debian-sources-4.9.18, update both. run boot-update, make sure you use 4.9.18 in boot menu. Report back how it works on NVMe.

Currently installing following Funtoo Handbook, but @ emerge -s debian-sources it only lists 4.8.15 and sys-kernel/zen-sources [masked] 3.13.9999

I don't know if iv'e missed something according to the new (patched, sort of) kernel beeing on git. I belived everything in Funtoo was downloading from git. 

I'm a bit confused

E: to clarify, i'm following Funtoo install page word by word, no more, no less. Pleasy advice how to get version 4.9.18 of kernel during install.

Emerge --search only shows the installed version of debian-sources , not the available uninstalled versions on my system also.

#Sync portage
emerge --sync
#Create package.unmask directory if necessary
mkdir -p /etc/portage/package.unmask
#Unmask genkernel-3.4.40.15
echo "=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.15" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask/genkernel
#Emerge genkernel-3.4.40.15
funtoo rj # emerge -av =sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.15

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U #] sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.15::gentoo [3.4.40.13::gentoo] USE="cryptsetup -btrfs (-ibm) (-selinux)" 291 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 291 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] 

#Unmask debian-sources-4.9.18
echo "=sys-kernel/debian-sources-4.9.18" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask/debian-sources
#Emerge debian-sources-4.9.18
funtoo rj # emerge -av =sys-kernel/debian-sources-4.9.18

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS   #] sys-kernel/debian-sources-4.9.18:4.9.18::gentoo [3.19.3:3.19.3::gentoo] USE="binary" 94,536 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 94,536 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] 

I din't get it to work, too new to Funtoo/Gentoo. Anyhow, i did install Funtoo successfully on a SSD (1 TB 850 PRO) and am currently setting up the system, themes and that kind of stuff. Install went great. I'll wait until NVMe support is enabled in default debian-sources.

Thanks all anyway. 

NVMe support is enabled in debian-sources, they are just modules in kernel. What you tried and what didn't work?

Yes, i understand. I followed the Funtoo Handbook when installing. I do understand, according to answers in this thread, that i have to go beside the installation guide, and being kind of new to Funtoo world, i didn't dare to eventually mess up my current dual-boot configuration (Arch Linux, Windows 10) and now Funtoo Linux. So i decided to get a new SSD and install it to that exclusively, with UEFI, boot-loader and everything following installation guide. Worked like charm. There was another issue aswell, not related to Funtoo thou. 

The EFI-partition that Windows 10 creates during install is 100 MB, that can indeed be altered (using diskpart and scripting creation of "default Windows partitions"), but i didn't have that in mind when i installed Windows 10 a couple of days/a week ago. 

There is only approx 24 MB left in that EFI-partition, that houses Arch /Boot and Windows (system)

There is one down side thou, i have to press F8 @ UEFI screen when booting, and manually choose to boot from the SSD containing Funtoo Linux. But i can live with that.

I'd love to experiment with set Funtoo Linux up to boot from my NVMe drive, but i think i'm getting a Intel NUC with some NVMe drive on instead, for testing purposes.

• 1 month later...

NVMe support is enabled in debian-sources, they are just modules in kernel. What you tried and what didn't work?

Hi Oleg.

Update. I wasn't familiar to config a kernel all manually. My bad. 

It's that simple. Just enable "NVM Express block device" and "Open-Channel SSD target support" under device drivers in kernel configuration, is all there is to it.