Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

GCC 5

uxcn

I was wondering if there are plans to merge gcc-5.1 and gcc-5.2 into Funtoo Portage.  As a C/C++ developer, having the latest compilers is helpful for me.

I know the ebuilds are a bit less monolithic than the Gentoo ebuilds.  What would be involved if someone wanted to try to maintain them?

• 3 months later...

Eventually, gcc will be updated. Funtoo just tends to be conservative with the toolchain since Funtoo's primary focus is on servers. Still, I agree that I'd like to see newer toolchain packages available for those who want them, such as developers. In any case, you can write/modify ebuilds yourself or even use Gentoo's ebuilds. You can also use the toolchain overlay if you wish. There could be potential issues, but I've personally not run into any. In any case, I've written a Funtoo-style, self-contained gcc 5.3.0 ebuild for my own use which I can share. Iit's based on Funtoo's gcc-4.9.3-r1, so it doesn't apply the plethora of Gentoo patches and, as a result, probably won't work properly on a hardened system. I did try using 4.9.3-r2 as a base (for compatibility with hardened), but I ran into a mysterious bug resulting in failure to apply all of the Gentoo patchset.

I appreciate the offer for the ebuild.  It's honestly just been easier for me to download source and compile/install raw for a while.  Long term it's not exactly maintainable, but it's all only under my user account anyway.

From the server perspective, I'd probably argue keeping the older GCC version is less conservative than upgrading... but that's just my opinion.  There are non-trivial compiler bugs that have been fixed between the major and minor revisions.  Admittedly, there are probably new bugs introduced, but those should be fewer.  If someone depends on the older version, why not lock it in?  If the GCC devs can't be trusted, I'm not sure who can be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gcc-5.3.0 now available in portage. but masked. Please, test.

Is it ready to test on hardened installs?

*edit*: apparently so. But the build fails early due to a problematic patch: 

* Failed Patch: 05_all_gcc48_gcc.c.patch !
 *  ( /var/build/portage/sys-devel/gcc-5.3.0/work/piepatch/05_all_gcc48_gcc.c.patch )
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/build/portage/sys-devel/gcc-5.3.0/temp/05_all_gcc48_gcc.c.patch.out
 * ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-5.3.0::gentoo failed (prepare phase):
 *   Failed Patch: 05_all_gcc48_gcc.c.patch!

For the contents of the .patch.out file see here: http://sprunge.us/FSNA