Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to convert unofficial Gentoo overlays to use Funtoo profiles?

xenhat

Question

Hello! I've been using Gentoo/Funtoo for several years as a user but I've only recently started developing in general. This is also my first post. :)

I recently tried to install an unofficial overlay (unity-gentoo, available through layman) but it didn't go so well. As I've explained on their bug tracker (https://github.com/shiznix/unity-gentoo/issues/121), their installation procedure requires a profile to be selected.

However, their profiles seems to be unrecognized by epro, so installation is unfortunately impossible.

I've looked around the funtoo manuals but I am unable to find any relatively easy way to convert a classic portage/gentoo profile to the epro format. I'm not very familiar with the gen/funtoo internals and I'm a bit anxious at the perspective of writing the profiles from scratch (I wouldn't even know where to begin).

Is there anything that could make that transition easier?

8 answers to this question

Daniel Robbins guide to Creating Profiles

eselect profile was removed on funtoo, so that wiki page is outadated, and there is no way to use overlay profiles with epro(The script assumes you only  want profiles from $PORTDIR),  but actually manually putting togheter the profile isn't hard, just take a look at /etc/portage/make.profile/parent, and edit the file, is pretty obvious. I'm trying to get epro to read overlay profiles, but I've been too lazy these days, and only got the start of it.

Daniel Robbins guide to Creating Profiles

Creating Profiles

Want to create your own custom profiles? Thought up a mix-in that's not currently in the Funtoo profiles? Have an overlay with profiles and want to make it easy for people to use them? Well you've come to the right place. This article will show you how to easily add you own profiles. No more ugly hacking of parent files and other nonsense. Once you follow this guide, not only will portage easily recognize your profiles, they will also show up in eselect right along with the ones from the main tree.

Good question. I'm not really sure, but seeing that now, that makes me wonder if the profile is being ignored because my setup isn't relying on systemd...

P.S. I'm toying around with the overlay as we speak and I can't seem to find anything wrong with how they did this, aside that they're not using ./profiles/unity-gentoo/mix-ins at all.

One of funtoo's distinctives is that it doesn't use systemd.

My advice is if installing unity-gentoo overlay requires systemd then use gentoo.

Otherwise your trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

In addition to funtoo I run gentoo with systemd,arch,and void linux.

Variety is my spice of life when it comes to linux distros. 

well, I'm noticing an even bigger problem...

I followed the instructions located at http://www.funtoo.org/Creating_Profilesand epro can't even see the dummy overlay I just created. I'm pretty sure I did everything on that guide, yet epro refuses to list anything I just created. I'm not too keen on the idea of giving up, but not having the profiles show up at all raises more questions.

I closed the bug tracker issue, I am incapable of working with epro since the instructions provided aren't working (or aren't detailed properly).