Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

aalib install issue

4kb0mb3r

Question

I've tried emerge a few programs that fail because of aalib dep. When emerge aalib alone it fails. Have not been able to find anything useful online yet. At least VLC and electricsheep require this. Havent tried to USE="-aalib" yet, but I'd think I'd want it compiled. But either way it's an issue and I'd like to learn how to resolve it if possible.

emerge --info

aalib.info.txt

emerge -pqv

aalib.pqv.txt

ebuild environment

aalib.env.txt

build log

aalib.build.log.txt

13 answers to this question

Thanks, worked like a charm. I remember after being half asleep last night searching for gpm somewhere. But can you tell me how you came up with that as solution, I like to try and figure things out or understand why.

again thanks for the help

USE="-gpm" emerge =media-libs/aalib-1.4_rc5-r6

This should fix it for you.

There's 3 things going wrong here:

1. You are pinning the version portage will install for aalib to a specific one into your @world and you'll want upgrades for that.

2. You are adding a dependency to @world, bad idea, you only want programs you directly use in world, and let dependencies be solved  by portage

3. You are making a temporary fix, a quick fix that will come and get you in the future again in the next @world upgrade, if gpm build is failing for that package, it's OK to chage the USE environment variable to check if you can build a package without gpm but you add this to package.use(and a comment of why might be useful) and report the bug in the build, so it gets either fixed or masked, once that's done (check after reporting and syncing the tree, maybe some days) you can remove what you put in package.use.

Also the correct way of building dependencies manually is to use -1( --oneshot) so it doesn't get added to the world file, also be selective about what packages you might want to pin to a version and have no upgrades for it might cost you not getting security upgrades.

The command should have been

# USE="-gmp" emerge -1av =media-libs/aalib-1.4_rc5-r6
# $EDITOR /etc/portage/package.use
--
# Temporarily disable gpm for aalib
media-libs/aalib -gpm
--

PD: I disable gpm system wide in make.conf, it's practically useless with tmux and knowing how to use your keyborard, so unless you are using elinks or lynx as your browser(is anyone ?), I don't see the use of having a mouse pointer in console.

Thanks for input, gives me an idea of some of my bad habits.

I had instinctively put "media-libs/aalib -gpm" in package.use. I have never used "USE="*" emerge something". 

Wasn't sure if

./.libs/libaa.so: undefined reference to `Gpm_Wgetch'

was the the failure of compiling aalib or not. Now off to figure out this reporting bug thing. Also since I did not oneshot that package, should I remove it then -auDN @world and let it get pulled back in as a dependency?

Glad to help.

This command will remove package from /var/lib/portage/world or you can edit the world file.

I chose the first package on my world list app-admin/sudo in my example.

You would use media-libs/aalib instead.

There is nothing more to do as far as dependencies go.

rj@funtoo ~ $ sudo emerge -av --deselect app-admin/sudo
>>> Removing app-admin/sudo from "world" favorites file...
Would you like to remove these packages from your world favorites? [Yes/No] 

@j-g-

I just was making a point that the quick fix is the -gpm flag.  Obvious to me from his original post that he's not a newb to Funtoo so I felt fairly confident he would know about package.use and whether or not he wanted to make a change there. I gave a short concise answer because I didn't want to seem smug by talking too much.

You're mistaken about 'pinning' if you are implying @world wouldn't update media-libs/aalib-1.4_rc5-r6

Personally I wouldn't add the 'media-libs/aalib -gpm' to my package.use to correct a bug. By the next update the issue will be resolved and I don't have to worry about remembering to unset 'media-libs/aalib -gpm' in package.use. It would update and switch to the default use of '+gpm' on it's own.

I only use package.use for things I want to happen on a permanent basis. I try not to use it for temporary changes to correct bugs that are going to be resolved in the next update.

The only problem is if I were to emerge something like GIMP and have aalib set in it's use flags BEFORE the update/patch to aalib hits. Then GIMP would fail because the aalib use flag will default back to +gpm. In a scenario like that then of course I would have no choice but to make a change to package.use.

Thanks.

Thanks, worked like a charm. I remember after being half asleep last night searching for gpm somewhere. But can you tell me how you came up with that as solution, I like to try and figure things out or understand why.

again thanks for the help

I had the same problem two weeks ago and this:

`Gpm_Wgetch'

stood out in the build log. I don't use gpm so I just removed it and the emerge was successful.

This isn't true on my system if @world is "/var/lib/portage/world".

1. You are pinning the version portage will install for aalib to a specific one into your @world and you'll want upgrades for that.

After removing sudo I install with this command:

funtoo rj # emerge -av =app-admin/sudo-1.8.15-r1

funtoo rj # grep sudo  /var/lib/portage/world 
app-admin/sudo

No version is pinned (appended) to sudo which would prevent an update.

This isn't true on my system:

After removing sudo I install with this command:

funtoo rj # emerge -av =app-admin/sudo-1.8.15-r1

funtoo rj # grep sudo  /var/lib/portage/world 
app-admin/sudo

No version is appended to sudo which would prevent an update.

I had already verified that nothing is pinned so I myself was confused about what he meant there.

If I were to manually do:

# USE="-dbus" emerge =app-editors/mousepad-0.3.0

A future world update would in effect automatically do:

# emerge =app-editors/mousepad-0.4.0

and it automatically would toggle "-dbus" to "dbus" in the process as well. Nothing is pinned/frozen.

I have verified that nothing is pinned so I myself was confused about what he meant there.

If I were to manually do:

# USE="-dbus" emerge =app-editors/mousepad-0.3.0

A future world update would still automatically do:

# emerge =app-editors/mousepad-0.4.0

removing the "-dbus" use flag in the process as well. Nothing is pinned/frozen.

Maybe he had the wrong use of words?

I remmeber some time ago, I was pruning my world file, and saw a version number in there, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly this( It was some time ago). but as you tested my assertion about pinning the package version in @world is incorrect, so ignore that. (What I meant is portage will think you want X version every time you upgrade and thus not get anymore upgrades for the package, but seems package.mask is still the right file to do this)

Anyway, the main problem is adding dependencies to world, it really gets portage confused sometimes when you upgrade and the output isn't pretty.

Anyway, the main problem is adding dependencies to world, it really gets portage confused sometimes when you upgrade and the output isn't pretty.

I'll admit I'm new to Funtoo from Debian so excuse my ignorance.

I understand the point you are making. Without the oneshot then it puts aalib in the world file and probably best to keep the world file as lean as possible.

Good idea. I'll look into best practices and clean my world file. Thanks.