Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

An issue about set @kernel described in official wiki page "Funtoo Linux Download/Install"

m31271n

Question

A few days ago, I reinstalled my funtoo box.

I followed this page http://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Linux_Installation#Configuring_and_installing_the_Linux_kernel to configure a set kernel:

1. mkdir /etc/portage/sets

2. echo sys-kernel/debian-sources > /etc/portage/sets/kernel

3. echo "sys-kernel/debian-sources binary" >> /etc/portage/package.use

4. emerge -1 @kernel

I am sure about 2 things:

1. nothing is in /usr/lib/portage/world_sets

2. sys-kernel/debian-sources is not in /usr/lib/portage/world

Now , the question is coming - When I emerge --depclean, portage will clean my kernel.

>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

sys-kernel/debian-sources
  selected: 3.14.15
 protected: none
   omitted: none

sys-kernel/genkernel
  selected: 3.4.40.7-r6

sys-fs/cryptsetup
  selected: 1.6.6

sys-fs/mdadm
  selected: 3.3.2

All selected packages: sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40.7-r6 sys-kernel/debian-sources-3.14.15 sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.6.6 sys-fs/mdadm-3.3.2

I don't know why Portage didn't work as I know.

Can you guys give a tip ?

4 answers to this question

`emerge -1` (-1 = --oneshot) will not add the package to the world file.  You need to remove the --oneshot option for any package to be added to the world file when manually installing a package.

--oneshot SHOULD be used when manually reinstalling @system files, that way they are not added to the @world set as well as belonging to the @system set.

One can manually add a previously installed package to the world set by using the --noreplace flag, ie `emerge --noreplace =debian-sources-3.14.37`.

`emerge -1` (-1 = --oneshot) will not add the package to the world file.  You need to remove the --oneshot option for any package to be added to the world file when manually installing a package.

--oneshot SHOULD be used when manually reinstalling @system files, that way they are not added to the @world set as well as belonging to the @system set.

One can manually add a previously installed package to the world set by using the --noreplace flag, ie `emerge --noreplace =debian-sources-3.14.37`.

I created a user-defined set call "kernel" which contains "sys-kernel/debian-sources"

In this way, I can seperate sys-kernel/debian-sources from other packages in world file.

When I use "emerge -auDN @world", I can not have to update @kernel.

That is what I want to do.