Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo Java

digifuzzy

Question

10 answers to this question

Oleg,

I very much appreciate your answer, but I'm confused as I think my question is not being addressed.

To install icedtea -> emerge icedtea-bin then emerge icedtea. Got it.

However, virtual/jdk will, by default, install oracle-jdk-bin. And from you suggestions above - this can't be changed as it is the default. So virtual/jdk is tied to the oracle-jdk-bin.

So choices for java are...

1) install virtaul/jdk to get the default oracle-jdk

2) manually install icedtea-bin then icedtea.

I hope you can see the confusion I'm having here about the purpose of the virtual ebuild if choices are limited.

A little confused. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how virtual ebuilds work.

The web page suggest to emerge virtual/jdk which will pulling in oracle's jdk.

So with a virtual ebuild, if a user wants to install icedtea, they would have to expressly install their jdk of choice afterwards?

A user would have two jdk's installed?

Yes?/No?

it's fine to have limited choices. Too much freedom (or so called choices) often leads to anarchy. icedtea case. To make it bootstrap there're 2 choices. Rebuild gcc qith gcj support or emerge icedtea-bin. Funtoo dropped support fro gcj in gcc ebuilds. Also gcj support sheduled fro removal in upstream gcc. So we got only one way is: emerge icedtea-bin first. virtual/jdk ebuild has icedtea-bin candidate alternative. obviously this virtual can't have iceadtea, because you need icedtea-bin built first.

I'm guessing what you want is the 'eselect' command. Try 'eselect' with no args and look at output, then try 'eselect java-vm' and look at output, then try 'eselect java-vm list' and look at output. If you are lucky, the number you want will be there for 'eselect java-rm set <#>'. I was using icedtea not so long ago and the BDFL counseled me to use oracle and then everything was fine. Yah, I like the opensource stuff culturally. Now if I only knew why my jre 1.8 is masked (equery l -p jre), not that I've put in the time yet to figure it out, but it did bring me to this thread.