Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

failed to emerge x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.14.1 when trying to emerge gnome-light

teikou

Question

New to Funtoo Linux, got the system installed and running yesterday. Now trying to get a GUI running but get stuck on this problem. Sadly very new to compiling of source programs so I have not much clues about how to troubleshoot this kind of problem.

See attached files for details.

Any help with this will be most appreciated.

emergeinfo.txt

emergepqv.txt

buildlog.txt

3 answers to this question

Forgot to mention that I was just trying to emerge gnome-light.

Managed to solve my problem by researching what dependencies are required by adwaita-icon-theme and found them in this link.

Apparently librsvg is required and was not present in my system so a simple emerge librsvg and then emerge x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme was successful.

I also ran emerge gtk+ after emerge librsvg just to be sure that the gtk+ dependency was satisifed.

Since you say you are new to portage, I will warn you. You might be creating a recipe for upgrade problems, if you just simply 'emerge cat/pkg' the dependencies missing, whenever you encounter this problem again and want to install missing dependencies for a package, use:

# emerge --oneshot 'cat/pkg'

The short why, is you don't want dependencies of packages in your @world, you want the dependecies resolved by portage, more info `man 1 emerge`. Also you should have opened a report on this on the bugtracker, so the missing dependency gets added to the ebuild.

So before you get into strange problems with portage do:

emerge --deselect $DEPENDECIES_YOU_INSTALLED

this wont uninstall them just take them out of your /var/lib/portage/world file.