Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Weird issue with libtool?

uudruid74

Question

I'm finding a few packages that don't build and I keep trying to find work-arounds, change USE flags, or whatever, and now I'm seeing some that look like the ebuild is passing information to libtool incorrectly.  Something is really broken, and this is still a fresh install (more or less - not booted it yet, just installing). 

layman wants to pull in svn (tired or arguing and accepting defaults).  The result:

checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
000/image//usr/lib64/apache2/modules
/usr/share/build-1/libtool --mode=install install mod_dav_svn.la /var/tmp/portage/dev-vcs/subversion-1.8.10-r1000/image//usr/lib64/apache2/modules/
/usr/share/build-1/libtool: 3222: /usr/share/build-1/libtool: install_prog+=install: not found
/usr/share/build-1/libtool: 3242: /usr/share/build-1/libtool: files+= mod_dav_svn.la: not found
libtool: install: you must specify an install program
libtool: install: Try `libtool --help --mode=install' for more information.
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
build-outputs.mk:976: recipe for target 'install-mods-shared' failed
make: *** [install-mods-shared] Error 1
 * ERROR: dev-vcs/subversion-1.8.10-r1000 failed (install phase):
 *   emake failed

This looks all wrong.  Any ideas?

6 answers to this question

I've not seen that particular error before (that I recall, anyway). I've gotten libtool errors before when I compiled libtool with -flto. You might try re-emerging libtool with basic CFLAGS and see if the issue persists. If libtool is somehow broken, perhaps that will fix it.

I've noticed that subversion wants to be emerged and re-emerged over and over for no apparent reason. If you are certain that the dependencies are already installed, you can pass -O (that's the capital letter O) to emerge, and it will just emerge the specified ebuilds without calculating or emerging any dependencies. Or you can pass '--exclude subversion' to emerge to exclude specific ebuilds - such as subversion - from being emerged even if they're pulled in by something. In the latter case, it is possible that --exclude will keep the emerge from starting if it would cause another package you're trying to emerge to have an unmet dependency.

I've not seen that particular error before (that I recall, anyway). I've gotten libtool errors before when I compiled libtool with -flto. You might try re-emerging libtool with basic CFLAGS and see if the issue persists. If libtool is somehow broken, perhaps that will fix it.

It doesn't look like libtool is having the issue, but rather something passed to it.  My guess is that the ebuild is borked and I'm hitting some corner case where a blank shell variable is being passed, so it gets the arguments, but not the file to work on.  Or something like that.  My guess is its the java flag since thats kinda half-ass installed.  I emerged with the java flag specifically off, and after what I posted before,I get:

!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:

GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="/usr/share/db-4.8/lib/db-4.8.jar" JAVA_HOME="/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm"

JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""

Which I got before, but I forgot to include it.  Turning java off should have solved it.  :/

I tried re-emerging libtool just in case, and it didn't fix it (went and compiled it back the way it was again). 

I'm LOST

Adding a note that this issue seems to be in apr-util as well, added bug FL-1726

EDIT: For future reference, this set of problems was caused by changing /bin/sh to dash.  The libtool being used is /usr/share/build-1/libtool

running equery b /usr/share/build-1/libtool shows that this file was installed by dev-libs/apr-1.5.1-r1.  It actually keeps information about your CFLAGS

and shell and other information in this file.  If you change your CFLAGS or change /bin/sh then you must reinstall this file by running:

emerge apr

This seems to fix things, and apr-utils and subversion then emerge correctly.