Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Can't share wired network with a wifi access point in NetworkManager (KDE)

jorgicio

Question

I followed that tutorial: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/howto-share-ethernet-via-wifi-with-networkmanager-in-kde/

And compiled with the necessary flags, and also activated the package forwarding. However, I created the access point, as mentioned on that link, then I connected from my mobile phone, and it's working, but it can't surf the web. A connection without forwarding packages.

Checked iptables, and everything is clean.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Did you check your DNS?  That's usually the cause when it hooks up but appears not to go to web pages.  If you don't have a terminal app you can get one and do ping www.google.com.  Tells whole story.  Hmm, guess you'll have to get busybox too if you don't have it for ping, there's probably some app just for pinging, even easier.

net-misc/iputils

Try pinging 8.8.8.8 to see if traffic gets through (Google's public DNS).  If that works, but www.google.com doesn't, then its likely DNS.  Try,

echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 >>/etc/resolv.conf

and then try again to see if adding a DNS server fixes it.

As has already been mentioned, it sounds like this is likely a DNS issue. When you create the connection with NetworkManager, there should be an option to add a DNS server. Add 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (or both). This should tell NetworkManager to pass these DNS addresses automatically to your phone when your phone connects to the access point you created with NetworkManager. Otherwise, you'd probably have to set up the DNS addresses on the phone somehow.