Issue installing Grub

galoisghost

Question

Hi,

I'm attemptin my very first install.  And was doin fine up to

emerge boot-update

Which fails with

chmod a+x grub-mkrescue
PATH=.:$PATH pkgdatadir=. /usr/bin/help2man --section=1 -i /var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00-r7/work/grub-2.00/docs/man/grub-mkrescue.h2m -o grub-mkrescue.1 grub-mkrescue
Can't locate Locale/gettext.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Locale::gettext module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.20.1/x86_64-linux /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.20.1 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20.1/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20.1 /usr/lib64/perl5/5.20.1/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/5.20.1 .) at /usr/bin/help2man line 29.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/help2man line 29.
Makefile:22935: recipe for target 'grub-mkrescue.1' failed
make[2]: *** [grub-mkrescue.1] Error 2

I tried

perl-cleaner --all

But that did not fix the issue, probably because it didn't finish.

All relevant logs are attached.

I used  http://build.funtoo.org/funtoo-stable/x86-64bit/core2_64/stage3-latest.tar.xz

Any ideas how I can rectify this?

Thanks

build_log.txt

emerge_info.txt

emerge_pqv.txt

perlclean_all.txt

3 answers to this question

Hello and welcome.

It's probably not your fault, you lucked out and installed at the same time perl was being updated to a new version.  It can be kind of tricky even for established installs to cope with that.

Yes, the fact that perl-cleaner didn't finish sounds like a good bet.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come to the rescue here, but until then, I wonder if perl-cleaner complains about blockers?  That's often the case.  If so, make a note of the blockers and uninstall them, then it should finish and you should get over the hump.  Then you can reinstall them ( I think you should, but I never do), do emerge --depclean && revdep-rebuild.  You often have to pull out perl stuff to get it to work.

Otherwise, perhaps post your results from perl-cleaner to give us more to go on.