Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Gnome 3.14

I'm no one to say when but I think a few(or many) weeks. It will take time to the gentoo developers to bump all the gnome ebuilds, and then the patches made by dantrell for funtoo would have to be tested to work and/or upgraded. It was just released today, and the work is not a simple task.

Edit:

If you want to adventure to try to make it work with funtoo, this overlay seems to be ahead of all the others on the gnome bump:

https://github.com/thankjura/gentoo-gnome

I'm no one to say when but I think a few(or many) weeks. It will take time to the gentoo developers to bump all the gnome ebuilds, and then the patches made by dantrell for funtoo would have to be tested to work and/or upgraded. It was just released today, and the work is not a simple task.

Edit:

If you want to adventure to try to make it work with funtoo, this overlay seems to be ahead of all the others on the gnome bump:

https://github.com/thankjura/gentoo-gnome

Yeah they always have an overlay that is up to date. But I am no ebuild writer and have no idea what patches were added to make OpenRC work instead of systemd. We just need a funtoo-gnome overlay instead of a gentoo-gnome overlay. Anyone up to the chanllenge?

• 4 weeks later...

I can't test.  /var/portage doesn't exist on my funtoo installs so I can't even find /var/portage/tree/funtoo/profiles/package.mask/funtoo-gnome.

Those instructions are from an installation with PORTDIR="/var/portage/tree/funtoo/", the default is PORTDIR="/usr/portage". see the make.conf(5) manual.

Found it.  Thanks.

I thought it might be in /usr/portage too, but I looked for /usr/portage/tree/funtoo instead of /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask.

Instructions should be changed to reflect default location for derps, eh, I mean users like me.   ;)

I am having an issue with my desktop getting distorted when coming back from the lock screen. Also I have had the lock screen appear the same way. Also nautilus won't open unless I click on the home folder on the desktop. Running nautilus from the terminal or the menu does not work.

I fixed the nautilus issue by disabling desktop icons in gnome tweak tool and then reenableing them. I will test the lockscreen issue now.

The lockscreen and the desktop wallpaper both get distorted after a system pause... press alt than then click where the lock button was.

I have the same issue with Nautilus.  I found a related, more glaring bug and filed a report here:  https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-1694

I have two funtoo systems.  Both are Intel based.  One uses an nVidia and the other uses Intel graphics.  I don't have the distortion issue you describe on either with gnome-3.12 or 3.14.1.  Don't know what to tell you but it's probably graphics hardware/software related.

If you feel you have a genuine bug or issue, go ahead and file a bug report.  One usually gets faster responses from JIRA then from the forum.