Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

GNOME 3.12 is HERE...

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

You may have noticed that GNOME 3.12.2 is now part of Funtoo Linux, and does *not* require systemd.

Many thanks to Dantrell B. for spearheading the effort to make this happen!

With GNOME 3.12 integrated into our tree, we were able to unfork a lot of ebuilds and align more closely with Gentoo.

For information on how to install GNOME 3.12, see GNOME First Steps on the wiki. The approach is the same as before -- using the gnome mix-in.

If you have GNOME 3.6 installed, your GNOME mix-in has been auto-updated to be a GNOME 3.12 mix-in and you should be able to upgrade. Find instructions at the link above.

Best Regards,

Daniel

I would be curious to know what "critical" stuff is missing with the hard dependency on SystemD being removed. Anyone know? :)

I answered this in #funtoo, but, just for the record, I would like to state that nothing critical is missing. GNOME 3.12 in Funtoo is the full experience with minimal divergence.

Is funtoo the only distro with a systemd-free gnome-3.12?

It would seem so. I tried to spread the good news on the Gentoo forums, but some devs there took it as criticism of their decisions to deep-throat the SystemD folks (which was definitely not my intention). Seems these same devs are convinced that the SystemD-less Gnome is somehow deficient, or misleading users into running something that's horribly broken. How sad; especially when it shows that the whole 'Gnome is impossible now without SystemD' meme to be a lie. :(

I dug up your thread.  It's certainly an odd reaction to people doing what open source is supposed to be all about.

There's this vicious circle in the reasoning around systemd.   On one hand if you complain that systemd is too monolithic or has consumed too many other projects they will explain that systemd is modular and you can replace those pieces if you don't want to use theirs.  But then if you propose to replace one of those components or just work around it they will explain that it's really not practical to do so because everything is so interdependent and everything is going to start depending on their pieces anyway.

I suppose a rolling release source based distribution is never going to be hugely popular, but I'm surprised that we're not seeing more growth here given how much some people like to complain about systemd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently there is a least one dev (the one that maintains udev) who has gone on the record as saying: "I wouldn't mind systemd becoming the Gentoo default, as I see systemd becoming the norm in Linux userspace, but that hasn't happened yet, and migration will need time." I am loathe to put words in the mouths of non-native English speakers, but it seems pretty clear from that post what kind of pen he believes that we should all be guided into.

I personally find it odd that he claims to have no dog in this fight, yet seems to be on the side of SystemD taking over everything. He also doesn't seem to mind when Poettering tells him point blank: "Unless the systemd-haters prepare another kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call." It's all water under the bridge to him apparently.

Even giving the dev the benefit of the doubt, it seems to me that he's fighting a losing battle as Poettering has made it abundantly clear that he wants udev sans SystemD to die, and it seems that he is indeed doing everything in his power to make it so.

At any rate, I don't wish to derail this thread any further, so I'll shaddap now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

I'm using Gentoo for years. I thought to install Funtoo many times but I'm too lazy and used to Gentoo.

I neither use Gnome.

So what?

So... If I used Gnome I would pass to Funtoo, as I think Systemd is not a good choice for Linux.

I also think that many users or devs from Gentoo are not so closed minded as they are pictured in this thread.

Best regards and good job.

Andrea

• 3 months later...

looking up how much adsense pays...  one site reports 48 bucks for every 1000 visits...  this thread alone has 4k visits....

"No click on them is necessary for you to earn something from AdSense."

i honestly don't mind a few ads to have drobbins work on funtoo full time.  ill even disable adblocking on funtoo.  i love funtoo!  =D